Spending £1.5bn Moving Sheaf Street

On 12/03/2020 at 11:05, trastrick said:

(Disclaimer!  I've driven in London, Paris, Berlin, Rome, and New York without the rank frustration that you get in Sheffield!)

If you’ve driven in Paris I suggest there’s nothing quite so ‘frightening’  as that entry into Place de la Concorde.
I no longer have the cojones !

3 hours ago, Mossway said:

If you’ve driven in Paris I suggest there’s nothing quite so ‘frightening’  as that entry into Place de la Concorde.
I no longer have the cojones !

Across 10 countries in Europe too, up to the Russian border, in 4 summers, Without GPS. All the major cities. Signs in different languages but all had clearly marked "El Centro" signs.  Heavy traffic and delays there are normal and expected. Routine.

As I said, it's about expectations, Rome  comes to mind. On broad streets with no lane markers first one to the next light wins, but it works.

On Sheffield train station. Drag two heavy suitcases up and down platform stairways, then told. "The 8.45 to London will now leave from platform...."

On the train, nowhere to put the suitcases, and then another "sorry luv" apology, "The buffet car will not be open today due to......." No morning coffee for 3 hours or so.

You have to love Sheffield a lot not to follow the "brain drain", like a lot of us did!

It's home to a certain kind of mindset that will keep it where it is.

"A planning meeting announced, ALL welcome". Lol

Edited by trastrick

19 minutes ago, trastrick said:

Across 10 countries in Europe too, up to the Russian border, in 4 summers, Without GPS. All the major cities. Signs in different languages but all had clearly marked "El Centro" signs.  Heavy traffic and delays there are normal and expected. Routine.

As I said, it's about expectations, Rome  comes to mind. On broad streets with no lane markers first one to the next light wins, but it works.

On Sheffield train station. Drag two heavy suitcases up and down platform stairways, then told. "The 8.45 to London will now leave from platform...."

On the train, nowhere to put the suitcases, and then another "sorry luv" apology, "The buffet car will not be open today due to......." No morning coffee for 3 hours or so.

You have to love Sheffield a lot not to follow the "brain drain", like a lot of us did!

"A planning meeting allowed, ALL welcome". Lol

Edited by Baron99

2 hours ago, trastrick said:

My word. There really is a lot of hate inside of you towards us.

2 hours ago, trastrick said:

What drivel. 

Sheffield has more Academy of Urbanism awards than any other city in the UK. 

15 minutes ago, abbeyedges said:

My word. There really is a lot of hate inside of you towards us.

Not hate, just a rant! Lol

Disappointment by what Sheffield could have been, and where it was going for the  first 10 years after the war!

Your much vaunted Meadowhall, (it's just a shopping mall fer chrissakes)) ill designed unsightly government drab buildings,  and  cheap arcades, with fairgrounds to keep folks happy, trundling trams are strictly 1970's Warsaw!

2 minutes ago, trastrick said:

Not hate, just a rant! Lol

Disappointment by what Sheffield could have been, and where it was going for the  first 10 years after the war!

Your much vaunted Meadowhall, (it's just a shopping mall fer chrissakes)) ill designed unsightly government drab buildings,  and  cheap arcades, with fairgrounds to keep folks happy, trundling trams are strictly 1970's Warsaw!

Rants very rarely continue for over 48 hours. 

22 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

What drivel. 

Sheffield has more Academy of Urbanism awards than any other city in the UK. 

I wouldn't be at all surprised, after reading their MANIFESTO on their web site!  Lol

2 minutes ago, abbeyedges said:

Rants very rarely continue for over 48 hours. 

Responses to insults allowed?

Lol

On 14/03/2020 at 13:42, trastrick said:

I mean there are lifts on all platforms but if you like carrying heavy suitcases up staircases you can't really complain about carrying heavy suitcases up staircases.

On 14/03/2020 at 13:42, trastrick said:

What's this to do with Sheffield? Are you blaming Sheffield for everything EMR does now? Sheffield's fault the trains late, Sheffield's fault the buffet car is closed. Poor you and your lack of coffee. There are coffee shops on every platform but I guess that's a bit too much to ask to actually think about where you can get coffee.

Yeah, we get it now, @trastrick.

You're a cultured, sophisticat world traveller up there with Alan Whicker, Michael Palin and Uncle Travelling Matt from the Fraggles.

While we are all just grunting neanderthals who never raise our gaze from the ground and should bow down to and recognize your great hate for both our city in general and specifically it's third world use of those troublesome obstacles that have been the bane of mankind for millennia - steps.

Or you could just be a petty jealous troll from some neighbouring town.

The lady doth protest too much, methinks to be labouring a point on a niche forum for a city they hate when they should be busy planning their next trip to wherever it is that has 'El Centro' signs to direct them when they're driving to their beloved hotels and not at all those places that have loads of signs with 'Heart of the City' written on them in nice friendly letters in plain English instead.

Going back to the hotel one might have thought that as it is valuable to Sheffield and it pays a lot in rates to the council then when it was being planned that as it can not have its own parking then they might have negotiated with the council for a dropping off space outside.

secondly in view of the fact that there is no parking I would expect them to provide clear directional guidance on their web site and not follow the signs to Sheffield which I am guessing most guests would have the common sense to work that bit out for themselves. See below

Located in the heart of Sheffield, the hotel is easily accessible via most major transport links. Guests travelling by road should exit the M1 at J33 and follow the signs to Sheffield. Both Sheffield station and airport are also in close proximity.

9 hours ago, Mr. Johnson said:

Yeah, we get it now, @trastrick.

You're a cultured, sophisticat world traveller up there with Alan Whicker, Michael Palin and Uncle Travelling Matt from the Fraggles.

While we are all just grunting neanderthals who never raise our gaze from the ground and should bow down to and recognize your great hate for both our city in general and specifically it's third world use of those troublesome obstacles that have been the bane of mankind for millennia - steps.

Or you could just be a petty jealous troll from some neighbouring town.

The lady doth protest too much, methinks to be labouring a point on a niche forum for a city they hate when they should be busy planning their next trip to wherever it is that has 'El Centro' signs to direct them when they're driving to their beloved hotels and not at all those places that have loads of signs with 'Heart of the City' written on them in nice friendly letters in plain English instead.

Actually I'm a retired gent, living modestly in a small town on a beautiful Caribbean tropical island. The streets are packed with vendors selling everything from fresh fish, fresh fruit, fresh eggs, to kitchenware. Everywhere, happy, smiling optimistic faces. Every body says "Hola" when passing!

I swim everyday, no need to drive, I can walk to the three palm fringed beaches, shops, and my favorite cantinas and restaurants in 15 minutes. Sandals, shorts and T shirt is all you need!

May you each enjoy your own version of paradise!  :)

(As for the "cultured" part, thank you)

But I spent my childhood in Heeley with a welfare mother, and no father. Left school at 15

My life was "planned" for me. The choices were down the mine, a construction site, the steel mill, or learn a trade.

I chose a trade, and then chose another "plan". Get out of there at 20. Never looked back!

Planning is good! If you get it right!

Edited by trastrick