Spending £1.5bn Moving Sheaf Street

Lol

Didn't see any signs for an alternative parking lot, especially with three heavy suitcases! Didn't want to spend another hour in the car driving around looking for one. Couldn't go through that again!

And a very expensive hotel, with no help for a couple of seniors at the door, dragging suitcases up a flight of fancy marble steps. :)

Finally got to the lobby bar for a well earned drink, To be met by, "Sorry, luv, the bar is closed, the server is a bit late today"!

Later, tried a little international banking withdrawal, at  Barclays where I have an old account. Another hour of interviews, and willing, but confused  people running in and out, apologizing!

Same with the pubs, all run by school kids, with nary a responsible sensible person in sight. Menus full of stuff, they don't sell, "at the moment!" 

They do actually have ice, now, although asking for orange juice gets you a little friendly lecture on the difference between soda and fruit juice.

Sheffield's motto should be, "Sorry luv!" or how about "Think Yourself Lucky!"  lol

I currently live in a third world small town. It's busy but only one traffic light and no stop signs, no dead ends, and the banks work seamlessly.

And they WANT your business!

A day's work in Sheffield is 15 minutes here!

And most have never been to "UNI", in fact most have never even been to school!

Lol

Edited by trastrick

11 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Tunnelling is ruinously expensive and leaves the highway authority with a major maintenance liability. I'd suspect that the business case for the scheme would not work with a tunnel.

I'm not talking about a tunnel as such - more of a couple of hundred yards of  covered underpass similar to some of the A58M through Leeds centre.  Potentially less work needed than carving out 4 lanes of road in the fairly steep hillside behind the station.

11 hours ago, trastrick said:

I was born and raised in Sheffield, and since then, then I've lived all over the world.

Although I am a huge nostalgia fan, Sheffield is one the place I never want to re-visit.

Last year we spent an hour (with GPS) trying to drive the few hundred yards to a centrally located hotel, we could see it but couldn't get to it, thanks to the one ways. and construction closings. then found there was no place to park and unload the suitcases.

Likewise when we went to return the hired car, we could see the Office, as we passed the area for the 5th time, but couldn't actually get there.

The spaghetti road/one ways, alley routes, dead ends, are frustrating, and trying to pick up a passenger at Midland Station is a game of chicken, that can be dangerous to your health!

(Disclaimer!  I've driven in London, Paris, Berlin, Rome, and New York without the rank frustration that you get in Sheffield!)

Sheffield, and it's "planners" can all go to hell, for the mess they've made of my home town.

You should probably stop driving altogether if you find driving in Sheffield difficult, try places like Leeds and Birmingham before complaining about Sheffield.

18 minutes ago, probedb said:

You should probably stop driving altogether if you find driving in Sheffield difficult, try places like Leeds and Birmingham before complaining about Sheffield.

I'm used to driving on roads that actually take you somewhere. It's no fun driving the same stretch of road/alleyway/one way only, that take you back to where you started, or a dead end, especially with a state of the art GPS!

Strictly third rate!

Edited by trastrick

1 minute ago, trastrick said:

I'm used to driving on roads that actually take you somewhere. It's no fun driving the same stretch of road/alleyway/one way only, that take you back to where you started, or a dead ends, especially with a state of the art GPS!

Strictly third rate!

The GPS I take it.....................

15 hours ago, trastrick said:

And a very expensive hotel, with no help for a couple of seniors at the door, dragging suitcases up a flight of fancy marble steps. :)

Finally got to the lobby bar for a well earned drink, To be met by, "Sorry, luv, the bar is closed, the server is a bit late today"!

Which hotel was it?

You are allowed to name it.

I want to attempt this parking / drop off impossibility myself.

3 hours ago, Mr. Johnson said:

Which hotel was it?

You are allowed to name it.

I want to attempt this parking / drop off impossibility myself.

Mercur, around noon on a Monday. Summer time.

It's right beside the New "Peace Garden (that's no longer a garden, nor peaceful. Lol)

It used used to be a quiet respite to get away from  the noise of the city traffic, but when I was there, it was a noisy fairground with roundabouts, like a piece of spare ground!

Good Luck!

Edited by trastrick

11 hours ago, Longcol said:

I'm not talking about a tunnel as such - more of a couple of hundred yards of  covered underpass similar to some of the A58M through Leeds centre.  Potentially less work needed than carving out 4 lanes of road in the fairly steep hillside behind the station.

Its still a tunnel, the method of construction might be cut and cover instead of boring.  Again it would still be a significant and costly underground structure and an ongoing maintenance liability. Also might not be the easiest thing to construct without causing major disruption to traffic flows.

Any buried services, sewers, culverts would need to be dealt with,  again, potentially extremely expensive.

Moving the road around the back of the station is preferable from a placemaking point of view, which is what this masterplan is about.

4 minutes ago, trastrick said:

Mercur

Good Luck!

Park square

upto arundel gate

turn right

straight over

it's a nightmare!

Guest makapaka
On 11/03/2020 at 18:13, Robin-H said:

The Peace Gardens? The Gold Route? Grey to Green? 

Fitzalan square. The moor. 

18 minutes ago, ads36 said:

Park square

upto arundel gate

turn right

straight over

it's a nightmare!

Theoretically I agree!

Yes, I too can read a map. Took me all of 5 seconds! 

But, unfortunately I had a car!  Lol

Edited by trastrick