Spending £1.5bn Moving Sheaf Street

Can't they put the stretch of Sheaf Street in front of the station underground  with a ramp on both approaches and have a square / pedestrian area on the surface in front of the station- or would going underground mean interfering with the culvert of the River Sheaf?

9 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Removal of the dual carriageway in front of the station and moving the tram to the front of the station would be a great step forward. Having a dual carriageway running through a city centre seems a bizarre idea, Park Square roundabout is dreadful and is an enormous barrier to all forms of traffic, and having an easily accessible method of public transport at the station is all to the good.

The station obviously needs a lot of work, poor passenger routes and flows.

Bring it on I say.

Been to Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool etc etc lately?

Are there any artist's impressions of how the new Park Square will look?

8 hours ago, Longcol said:

Been to Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool etc etc lately?

Yep. Well, only Leeds and Manchester.

Arguing that because these other cities also have dreadful roads, or that they manage ok despite it, Sheffield should keep its own  barrier to a nice flow of non-car transport is a very thin argument indeed. If indeed that's what you're arguing?

There doesn't appear to be much confidence in the local council's ability to make this a reality. Were any of them on-board during the Supertram network building as that looks like a success to me.

15 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

I'd rather spend money on a better link from the tramstop to where the proposed new line would be, and spend money on extending the lines. Heeley route and oughtibridge routes (expensive but practical)

The idea of this masterplan is to regenerate an area and include it in the city centre. Building new tram lines to outer areas, however desirable they may be,  won't achieve that.

1 hour ago, Green Slime said:

There doesn't appear to be much confidence in the local council's ability to make this a reality. Were any of them on-board during the Supertram network building as that looks like a success to me.

The reality of major projects like this  is that the local council normally won't have the resources to plan, design and construct it from their own labour force. The planning and design (and probably the project management) will be done by private sector consultants and the construction will be done by a private sector contractor.

The Council do still have some staff who were around and involved in the supertram project, but the council didn't plan, design or construct that, it was done by the private sector. The council's staff were heavily involved in the project, but they did not run it.  (Remember the tram system is owned and run by SYPTE. They are the public transport authority.) Since then SCC have successfully delivered a number of big highway projects, like the inner relief road and the bus rapid transit scheme at Meadowhall.

Difficulties, constraints and delays on major infrastructure projects are often beyond the control of the council or whoever is promoting the scheme, they are just a factor of the physical environment and the great difficulty of promoting that level of change.

12 hours ago, Longcol said:

Can't they put the stretch of Sheaf Street in front of the station underground  with a ramp on both approaches and have a square / pedestrian area on the surface in front of the station- or would going underground mean interfering with the culvert of the River Sheaf?

Tunnelling is ruinously expensive and leaves the highway authority with a major maintenance liability. I'd suspect that the business case for the scheme would not work with a tunnel.

I was born and raised in Sheffield, and since then, then I've lived all over the world.

Although I am a huge nostalgia fan, Sheffield is one the place I never want to re-visit.

Last year we spent an hour (with GPS) trying to drive the few hundred yards to a centrally located hotel, we could see it but couldn't get to it, thanks to the one ways. and construction closings. then found there was no place to park and unload the suitcases.

Likewise when we went to return the hired car, we could see the Office, as we passed the area for the 5th time, but couldn't actually get there.

The spaghetti road/one ways, alley routes, dead ends, are frustrating, and trying to pick up a passenger at Midland Station is a game of chicken, that can be dangerous to your health!

(Disclaimer!  I've driven in London, Paris, Berlin, Rome, and New York without the rank frustration that you get in Sheffield!)

Sheffield, and it's "planners" can all go to hell, for the mess they've made of my home town.

There is a meeting of the Street Heritage Research group on 21st March 2020 where implications of this could be discussed. 

9am to 1pm Rm 1025 Owen Building Howard St Sheffield Hallam University.

Its an open meeting and all and everyone welcome to attend--Free Entrance.

Details are here--https://sites.google.com/view/streetheritage/the-street-heritage-research-group

please feel free to circulate

vN7fkkRJ4DitxFa_8c0ddaRiPgu4txyPJ4eslhxm

2 hours ago, trastrick said:

I was born and raised in Sheffield, and since then, then I've lived all over the world.

Although I am a huge nostalgia fan, Sheffield is one the place I never want to re-visit.

Last year we spent an hour (with GPS) trying to drive the few hundred yards to a centrally located hotel, we could see it but couldn't get to it, thanks to the one ways. and construction closings. then found there was no place to park and unload the suitcases.

Likewise when we went to return the hired car, we could see the Office, as we passed the area for the 5th time, but couldn't actually get there.

The spaghetti road/one ways, alley routes, dead ends, are frustrating, and trying to pick up a passenger at Midland Station is a game of chicken, that can be dangerous to your health!

(Disclaimer!  I've driven in London, Paris, Berlin, Rome, and New York without the rank frustration that you get in Sheffield!)

Sheffield, and it's "planners" can all go to hell, for the mess they've made of my home town.

Absolute nonsense.  

Sheffield road systems are nothing compared to driving in central London and especially New York.   

Yes there is some construction blocking some routes but if you could see your hotel why didn't you simply find the nearest alternative place to park and unload just like everyone else does in a busy city centre.  

The road system and planners are no different to any other major city.   Think yourself lucky you could actually drive into the centre at all.  That will soon be completely from some places. 

8 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Absolute nonsense.  

Sheffield road systems are nothing compared to driving in central London and especially New York.   

Yes there is some construction blocking some routes but if you could see your hotel why didn't you simply find the nearest alternative place to park and unload just like everyone else does in a busy city centre.  

The road system and planners are no different to any other major city.   Think yourself lucky you could actually drive into the centre at all.  That will soon be completely from some places.