Spending £1.5bn Moving Sheaf Street

So according to the star article "£1.5bn plan is Sheffield's 'biggest ever'" here: https://www.thestar.co.uk/business/ps15bn-plan-sheffields-biggest-ever-2445918

The council have announced a project currently going to public consultation that plans to be doing work for the next 20 years around the area of the railway station.

They want to close Park Square roundabout, moving Sheaf Street from in front of the train station to behind it, and move the Supertram tracks from behind the train station to in front of it... Also, re-landscaping and building a large pedestrian bridge to connect directly between Park Hill and Howard Street. They're wanting to remove the multi-story car park that's at the train station currently, move it waaay out to where PureGym is currently situated on the fork of Ring-road.  There's talk of new offices, potentially built on stilt over Pond Street where the tram will run down from Fitzalan Square...

The argument is that redevelopment is needed for HS2 (I can see that) They've not made any mention of development at the station itself - the needed electrification, or redevelopment of Granville Road so that they can widen access approaches for trains into the station by adding extra tracks and the relevant OLE gantries.

They're expecting over a billion pounds of this investment to come from the private sector with the rest funded by Sheffield City Council, HS2, SYPTE, Transport for the North, Network Rail, the Department for Transport and Sheffield City Region budgets.

There's constant talk on here about the need for new developments and investment in the city, they've now come up with this. Over to you...

Removal of the dual carriageway in front of the station and moving the tram to the front of the station would be a great step forward. Having a dual carriageway running through a city centre seems a bizarre idea, Park Square roundabout is dreadful and is an enormous barrier to all forms of traffic, and having an easily accessible method of public transport at the station is all to the good.

The station obviously needs a lot of work, poor passenger routes and flows.

Bring it on I say.

1 hour ago, Bargepole23 said:

Removal of the dual carriageway in front of the station and moving the tram to the front of the station would be a great step forward. Having a dual carriageway running through a city centre seems a bizarre idea, Park Square roundabout is dreadful and is an enormous barrier to all forms of traffic, and having an easily accessible method of public transport at the station is all to the good.

Bring it on I say.

If you want to be picky, the current layout of Sheaf St is a 4 lane wide single carriageway. Dual carriageway implies two separate carriageways.

Looks a nice idea though.  Brings the station area properly into the city centre.

Look nice on paper but I can forsee that moving the road to the back of the station, will generate complaints from those living in the Parkhill flats. 

2 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Bring it on I say.

be careful  what you wish for. take a long look back  at history

what has s.c.c ever improved.

me I wouldn't trust them with a lego kit

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

Look nice on paper but I can forsee that moving the road to the back of the station, will generate complaints from those living in the Parkhill flats. 

More than that, I'm not sure that they've really considered other businesses such as the Sky Call center or other office workers in the Works buildings too. I suppose it depends how they're going to do it, the order of events and the different stages of works progression that will dictate exactly how chaotic it'll get or if it will even get approval.

They'd probably be better spurring left  off the bottom of Parkway, building a ramp up to to link to the B6071/Burnard Street and widening it, at least in the shorter term to allow traffic to go behind the train station and drop back onto ring road. Basically make it a 3 way slip-road junction at the bottom of parkway to either go right onto Derek Dooley, Left up-ramp onto Burnard St or straight on and up-ramp to Arundel Gate and the City Centre. Rip out park square roundabout completely as it's gradually becoming more redundant anyway what with the grey-to-green scheme at Victoria Quays and the old Castle Market quarter.

I have a feeling that the £1.5Bn is a rather conservative estimate considering the volume and scope of the works that are being suggested with major road and tram changes described.

I'm still waiting for the moving walkways that'll carry people from the train station up to Arundel Gate that were proposed years ago.

This is such a great idea! Really hope at least some of it comes to pass. 

2 hours ago, MICK BADGER said:

be careful  what you wish for. take a long look back  at history

what has s.c.c ever improved.

me I wouldn't trust them with a lego kit

The Peace Gardens? The Gold Route? Grey to Green? 

Just now, Baron99 said:

Yes, I thought this too.

Another issue I have with it, is how much it would cost to move the tramline, for something not much different.

I'd rather spend money on a better link from the tramstop to where the proposed new line would be, and spend money on extending the lines. Heeley route and oughtibridge routes (expensive but practical)

8 hours ago, ShefStealth said:

So according to the star article "£1.5bn plan is Sheffield's 'biggest ever'" here: https://www.thestar.co.uk/business/ps15bn-plan-sheffields-biggest-ever-2445918

The council have announced a project currently going to public consultation that plans to be doing work for the next 20 years around the area of the railway station.

AAAARRGGHH!! All these positive comments are killing me!

Allow me to inject some negativity onto the thread instead:

Do we want twenty years of traffic jams and ongoing construction work in the city centre?

There, I feel better now 😁

Took over 2 years for that poxy bit of work on the wicker to shalesmoor that’s still not finished ....god help us if they start this