Getting Started 2020

Well the nights are drawing out now and the busy season just around the corner.  Is everyone making big plans.

I make plenty of plans and usually manage half of them, already sown some lettuce in the greenhouse

Let us all know your efforts

On 09/03/2020 at 21:58, barry-333 said:

I make plenty of plans and usually manage half of them

Nothing wrong there Barry-plans are good.

I'm planning on making a heated propagator for germinating my fruit seeds- plums,  cherries, peaches, apricots.

Like you, I've made a start-bought a 50 watt soil warming cable this morning from flea bay.  I' ll make  the box quite soon. 

I could do with sourcing a sheet of pespex for the lid. If anyone can advise of a local source at a reasonable price,

Edited by Janus

I have just finished fixing the greenhouse on my recently taken on allotment.

Glass is falling out of favor and I used plastic corrugated card board that can be bought from many builders merchants to fix the broken panes. It is not optically clear but is clear for light for growing purposes.

I need the greenhouse in order as I will soon have the planting out area ready and clear of weeds.

Edited by Refugee
Typo

On 16/03/2020 at 02:13, Refugee said:

Glass is falling out of favor and I used plastic corrugated card board that can be bought from many builders merchants to fix the broken panes

What is that though? 

I am needing  one piece of perspex, size 555mm X 410mm.

4 hours ago, Janus said:

What is that though? 

I am needing  one piece of perspex, size 555mm X 410mm.

I got it from Screwfix as I needed to do all the lower panes on two sides plus the door and needed enough that shipping was free.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/axiome-twinwall-polycarbonate-sheet-clear-690-x-6-x-2000mm/694fh

It really does look like clear corrugated cardboard. Other people on our site have been using it due to it being more durable than glass.

I pulled up a 20 inch dock root yesterday. It was a very therriputic thing for me to do.

18 hours ago, Refugee said:

I got it from Screwfix as I needed to do all the lower panes on two sides plus the door and needed enough that shipping was free.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/axiome-twinwall-polycarbonate-sheet-clear-690-x-6-x-2000mm/694fh

It really does look like clear corrugated cardboard. Other people on our site have been using it due to it being more durable than glass.

I pulled up a 20 inch dock root yesterday. It was a very therriputic thing for me to do.

Sounds just like the old childrens story ......  The Enormous Turnip.     🤣

It was more like a big parsnip🤣

On 16/03/2020 at 02:13, Refugee said:

I have just finished fixing the greenhouse on my recently taken on allotment.

Glass is falling out of favor and I used plastic corrugated card board that can be bought from many builders merchants to fix the broken panes. It is not optically clear but is clear for light for growing purposes.

I need the greenhouse in order as I will soon have the planting out area ready and clear of weeds.

There is NO substitute for glass and seedlings and young plants will be stretched and in my view useless for planting out I have been gardening for 70+ years

I have planted out pumpkins and marrows that were started off in the repaired greenhouse planted directly in the clay soil with horse manure.

They had to be lashed down during that desert hurricane we had.

They are now flowering and looking like the fruits are beginning to set.

Tomatoes and peppers have been planted in the vacated location and are also flowering.

It looks fine to me.

On 26/03/2020 at 16:56, barry-333 said:

There is NO substitute for glass and seedlings and young plants will be stretched and in my view useless for planting out I have been gardening for 70+ years

Totally agree I have some spare 24 x 24 glass  cheap for collection