Unknown People Buried In Same Grave As My Ancestors.

I have been doing some work on my family tree and located a grave on Sheffield indexers, the grave at City Road has two of my ancestors in it, they died at home in 1907 aged 15 and 1934 aged 63. Also in the grave are three other people, one who died at 2 Herries Road, one died in the Royal Hospital and one in the mental hospital in 1934. I have found the grave and there is a headstone but there is no mention of my relatives just  the woman who died at Herries Road in 1956 and her great grandson who died at the Royal Hospital 1953. Has anyone any idea why they could be in the same grave and why there is no mention of my relatives, the names of the other people do  not correspond with anyone in my tree.

The funny thing is the husband and father to my ancestors died in 1928 and is buried in a grave at Crookes with two people whose surname does not appear in my tree and they were buried in 1950 and 52.

I should check with Sheffield indexers to check the record for you,as I have come across this on indexers site were more people were buried in same grave,they checked their records and found they put wrong info down,so worth asking indexers to check.

Hi Iansheff I think if a person in the old Workhouse at Firvale died the address was registered as 2 Herries Road.

It is possible that the grave was a public one ie a grave that could not be afforded by the first buried. There are a lot of graves with lots of unrelated people in, Norton Cemetery Sect N Grave 37 there are 26 people buried in this grave all children.

Smelter Ln, 2 Herries Rd and 12 Herries Rd were all linked to the Workhouse/Fir Vale Hospital I think.

Thanks for the replies, I find it odd that the father who died in 1928 wasn't buried with his daughter but in another cemetery, especially as his daughter was the only one in the grave at City Road.

Some years ago my Mother died, she was cremated and wondering what to do with her ashes thought it might be an idea to put them on her Mothers grave in City Road, however I had never visited my Grandmas grave so had no Idea where to find it, so I called at the office in the cemetery and asked where I could find my Grandma, they gave me a little map of the cemetery and marked the plot where my Gran was but told me there was no headstone any more just an indentation in the ground because you can either buy or lease a burial plot if you lease after 20 or 30 years ( not sure which ) the headstone is removed and the plot its used again. Maybe this is what's happened

This was  normal practice of putting unrelated people in one grave if they couldn't  afford a family grave , maybe they still do this.

I know my own father was the last one a grave at Burngreave Cemetery, none of the others in the grave are related.

You will find that with almost everyone you look up I'm afraid.  

Grannypat

I also came across this when researching my family history.  My great uncle Albert, his wife and 15 year-old son are buried at Burngreave Cemetery.  Albert was one of four Pridmore brothers who were killed in the First World War, the others being Arthur Edward, George Harry and John Thomas, the latter being my great grandfather  (you may have seen a number of articles I sent to the Star in recent years).  Albert was the only one buried in England as he was brought back wounded and died in Bradford Hospital.  The Friends of Burngreave Cemetery provided me with information on his grave and also buried in it are two infants that were of no relation to the family.  As indicated by others in this thread, this appears to have been common practice at that time.