How Long For Cmos Battery To Die?

Hi all. I've got some issues with an old Toshiba laptop (L655d model). It shut down due to overheat whilst in the middle of an application.

Now everytime I switch it on, I'm presented with that dreaded black screen. I've tried various methods to resolve it, but sadly nothing.

My only option left is to wait for the CMOS battery to die and then re-boot after.  Logically if everything's erased from the settings, it should start afresh. Question is, how long do I need to wait for that to happen? Will a month do or even longer?

Thanks.

What difference would the cmos battery going flat make? If that will fix the problem (which I don't believe it will, but whatever), why not just take it apart and take it out, since you'll have to replace it when it dies anyway

What dreaded black screen?

Keep pressing the power button (a few seconds) until it switches off properly, then power up. If nothing comes on screen at all after that, you've probably got bigger problems than a battery/hung state

The cmos battery and laptop battery are two different things, the first holds the time and some settings, and (from new) lasts for years. If the machine is a decade old, both batteries have probably had it, but that's unrelated to your problem

Edited by fools

2 hours ago, slh73 said:

What difference would the cmos battery going flat make? If that will fix the problem (which I don't believe it will, but whatever), why not just take it apart and take it out, since you'll have to replace it when it dies anyway

It's too risky to take apart the laptop just to access the battery. And even if it's dead, I'd still be able to use the laptop with a charger plugged in.

2 hours ago, fools said:

What dreaded black screen?

Keep pressing the power button (a few seconds) until it switches off properly, then power up. If nothing comes on screen at all after that, you've probably got bigger problems than a battery/hung state

The cmos battery and laptop battery are two different things, the first holds the time and some settings, and (from new) lasts for years. If the machine is a decade old, both batteries have probably had it, but that's unrelated to your problem

It seems quite a few people have had this issue with a Toshiba laptop; even probably other makes too. A simple Google search will prove that.

So in theory, if I don't use the laptop for a month or so, what are the chances of the CMOS battery dying? Bearing in mind the laptop itself is definitely about 10 years old.

Edited by TyneSoft

Your (original) question is too vague for anyone to comment with any certainty. 

Have you switched it off yet, in the manner suggested?

I wouldn't rely on any answer on the internet, it is awash with nonsense. A "simple google search" produces all kinds of crap.

Guessing how long someones cmos battery is going to last, is beyond most people.  It's relevance to the problem is dubious, unless you provide more information.

As already pointed out, the cmos battery, and the battery that allows running off mains, are two different things. You don't need to remove any battery to do a hard reset, you just need to keep your finger on the power button a little longer than normal

Edited by fools

32 minutes ago, fools said:

Your (original) question is too vague for anyone to comment with any certainty. 

Have you switched it off yet, in the manner suggested?

I wouldn't rely on any answer on the internet, it is awash with nonsense. A "simple google search" produces all kinds of crap.

Guessing how long someones cmos battery is going to last, is beyond most people.  It's relevance to the problem is dubious, unless you provide more information.

As already pointed out, the cmos battery, and the battery that allows running off mains, are two different things. You don't need to remove any battery to do a hard reset, you just need to keep your finger on the power button a little longer than normal

32 minutes ago, fools said:

I've done literally everything in the following links (except to take the laptop apart):

https://www.google.co.uk/search?safe=strict&source=hp&ei=fU9lXrqxJcOelwS68KaIAg&q=toshiba+l655d+black+screen&oq=todhiba+l655d+bla&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-hp.1.0.0i22i30l5j33i160l2j33i22i29i30.3725.14832..15582...9.0..0.178.2580.3j19....2..0....1.......8..41j41i160j41i22i30j0j0i131j46i131j46i131i275j0i131i395j46i131i395j0i395j0i10j46j0i13j0i13i30j0i22i10i30.yqtioWelkyk

You are asking for help here, and are not responding to requests for information.

7 posts in, and I still have no idea what the problem is. Black screen? could be 100s of things, switch it off.

Edited by fools

how long does a cmos battery last....... years.

laptops usually have access panels underneath, pop them off and have a look.  doesnt sound like thats the issue though. As others have said, need a bit more as a black screen could be anything...

does it try to boot? does it boot with a power cord in? what was the cause for the overheating etc etc

With some laptops the CMOS battery is soldered in. They last years and manufacturers expect it to outlast the laptop itself. 

Not all laptops will work with a dud battery. There is no set time as to how long a CMOS battery lasts. If it was just the CMOS battery, you'd get a message along the lines of "Changs have been detected, press F1 to continue" As above, it could be anything causing the issue so start with the basics.

Remove power and laptop battery

Try with just the power supply

Try again with both

If the screen is still black but the lights are showing it's on, shine a torch on the screen, can you see text/Image? (possible inverter)

Try an external monitor if possible

That's the quick list. Try those and see what happens.

I have a calculator with a 3 volt cmos battery, its still working, battery never changed, I use it all the time. 

33 years ago when I had it given to me.

Good luck.