Yorkshire Accent

10 hours ago, DUFFEMS said:

I agree.

The lazy Yorkshire accent nowadays is very different from when it was heard up to about 1960's/70's. There were still a lot of cutlery/steel workers around then and the use of Yorkshire phrases and the accent had been carried forward from parents/grandparents. When required the Yorkshire accent was toned down in those days, men didn't use it outside the workplace etc. i.e. they could moderate their accent.

Nowadays, the Yorkshire accent has been coupled with laziness of youth and sounds like 5 year olds who have never learnt English.

People don't pronounce T's anymore, "th" becomes "f" as in "firty free" instead of "thirty three", that's not Yorkshire it's just lazy.

Don't  get me started on sentences starting with "So" when asked a question!

Duffems

So what should we do about it?

3 hours ago, lazarus said:

Also ,  like  and know what I mean and cool!!!  I love watching documentaries about the medieval age, just to listen just what a brilliant descriptive and well spoken language we had.

We all know Shakespeare as a one off,  but I happened to pick up Sir Walter Scott's Ivanhoe recently. The expressive and descriptive language blew me away.  Even better, because it was written closer to our times.

As a dear departed Sheffield lad, who's intelligence outgrew his accent, used to say, "It were all full o' them suttle nuances. - Yu know."

Edited by trastrick

A lot of the Yorkshire accent comes from the Vikings. They settled in York, but they called it Jorvic.