Yorkshire Accent

12 hours ago, Daven said:

How do you know this - curious.

Because I have a book about words that were common parlance of the time, when did “ five and twenty past or too” stopped being used when telling the time, my father used those terms in the fifties.

39 minutes ago, lazarus said:

Because I have a book about words that were common parlance of the time, when did “ five and twenty past or too” stopped being used when telling the time, my father used those terms in the fifties.

My mother who's 94 and mother-in-law who's 96 still say "five and twenty past" etc. 

I lived with my grandparents and my grandfather born 1900 used lots of terms I still use such as, a "hobbledehoy" meaning an awkward/clumsy youth, someone who never grows up.

Clutter in a drawer etc. is "rammel" or , having a "fuddle" meaning a good meal, "hokey pokey" is ice-cream, being "badly" is unwell, being "nesh" is feeling the cold and ears are "tabs or lugoils"

I'm sure that a lot of Yorkshire terms and accents are derived from several parts of the country.

Duffems

12 hours ago, hillsbro said:

An oddity seems to exist in the Barnsley and Stocksbridge areas, where "oo" sometimes changes to "ooi", for example "Get thi booits on - tha't on afternooins". 🙂

That is (or used to be) common around High Green, also they seem to emphasise the "t" in some words.

My aunty ( sadly no longer with us ) who would have been in her mid 90s now,  always used to say  " Five and Twenty past."

On 08/03/2020 at 15:02, RiffRaff said:

Tricky one, this.

I've lived in the area for over 50 years, but still get confused/totally lost with some of the "extreme" accents.

I admit that I dread hearing broad Yorkshire accents on the likes of radio phone-ins/chat shows, mainly because most seem to have problems stringing three intelligent words together. I'm afraid to say that most sound a bit "thick"...

I agree.

The lazy Yorkshire accent nowadays is very different from when it was heard up to about 1960's/70's. There were still a lot of cutlery/steel workers around then and the use of Yorkshire phrases and the accent had been carried forward from parents/grandparents. When required the Yorkshire accent was toned down in those days, men didn't use it outside the workplace etc. i.e. they could moderate their accent.

Nowadays, the Yorkshire accent has been coupled with laziness of youth and sounds like 5 year olds who have never learnt English.

People don't pronounce T's anymore, "th" becomes "f" as in "firty free" instead of "thirty three", that's not Yorkshire it's just lazy.

Don't  get me started on sentences starting with "So" when asked a question!

Duffems

59 minutes ago, DUFFEMS said:

I agree.

The lazy Yorkshire accent nowadays is very different from when it was heard up to about 1960's/70's. There were still a lot of cutlery/steel workers around then and the use of Yorkshire phrases and the accent had been carried forward from parents/grandparents. When required the Yorkshire accent was toned down in those days, men didn't use it outside the workplace etc. i.e. they could moderate their accent.

Nowadays, the Yorkshire accent has been coupled with laziness of youth and sounds like 5 year olds who have never learnt English.

People don't pronounce T's anymore, "th" becomes "f" as in "firty free" instead of "thirty three", that's not Yorkshire it's just lazy.

Don't  get me started on sentences starting with "So" when asked a question!

Duffems

AARGH !!!!!    Really annoying.

On 09/03/2020 at 19:09, carosio said:

I had a Gloops badge, AND it was a brass one with blue enamel!

I too have a Gloops badge handed down to me from my father.

5 hours ago, francypants said:

AARGH !!!!!    Really annoying.

Also ,  like  and know what I mean and cool!!!  I love watching documentaries about the medieval age, just to listen just what a brilliant descriptive and well spoken language we had.

22 hours ago, Daven said:

How do you know this - curious.

Guide---Webbut ween had enuff a this; han ya heeard a this new invenshion wot they'n fun aht latela?
Jack----Wots it abaht?
Guide---Whoy, they sen at hah t' barbers is bahn to shave fooaks be steeam.
Jack---- Cum, oud chap, thaht trailin us nah; we cahnt swalla that no'ther;- we'st have that swapt at onna rate.
Guide---Wa, t' barber teld me sooa his sen.
Bil Heftpoip---Allads, oud friend thah's geen us a clencher at last; but sum at barbers is sich loiars.  O'l ge the a sample a wot a great gret loiar Little Luke wor ( tha knode him, he liv'd it Grindle gate ) He sed at he wer wonce bahn up t' Oud Park Wood, an a gret bare cum runnin reit streit oppen mahth at him; an he sed, "o dubbled up me shet sleeve, ramm'd me arm reit dahn his throit, laid oud on his tail, and turn'd him insoid ahterds;" and if ivver thah heeard  a bigger loi e the loif spaik.
Jack--Hah he sartanla wor a gret loiar; ivvera toime he oppen'd his mahth, it wert soign of a loi.

The Sheffield Dialect--1839

My uncle, a keen car DIYer, used to use a lot of "gree-us"...

1 hour ago, lazarus said:

Also ,  like  and know what I mean and cool!!!  I love watching documentaries about the medieval age, just to listen just what a brilliant descriptive and well spoken language we had.

I also like watching medieval  dramas but have you noticed how they put modern day sayings in as well, sayings that would never have been used in those days.

1 hour ago, jaffa1 said:

I also like watching medieval  dramas but have you noticed how they put modern day sayings in as well, sayings that would never have been used in those days.

The very reason I do not watch them.