Yorkshire Accent

Has anyone found the Yorkshire accent a disadvantage or taken as someone living in the real world?

Having a Yorkshire accent isn't a disadvantage. Coupling it with sloppy, slovenly speech is however. 

I'd much rather listen to a well spoken Yorkshire accent than a whiney, 'Estuary' English one.

Edited by Baron99

If I'm conversing with a foreigner whose english is not good, or over the telephone, then I'll modify my accent (and some words) for the sake of clarity.

My son who lives in Sheffield phoned his brother who works in Washington DC to leave a message, but the Americans couldn’t pass it on as “ they couldn’t understand a word he was saying “

Tricky one, this.

I've lived in the area for over 50 years, but still get confused/totally lost with some of the "extreme" accents.

I admit that I dread hearing broad Yorkshire accents on the likes of radio phone-ins/chat shows, mainly because most seem to have problems stringing three intelligent words together. I'm afraid to say that most sound a bit "thick"...

1 hour ago, RiffRaff said:

Tricky one, this.

I've lived in the area for over 50 years, but still get confused/totally lost with some of the "extreme" accents.

I admit that I dread hearing broad Yorkshire accents on the likes of radio phone-ins/chat shows, mainly because most seem to have problems stringing three intelligent words together. I'm afraid to say that most sound a bit "thick"...

I hate to admit this RiffRaff but I agree with you. 

In ten years I went from waiting in the rain for the first bus from Steel Peach and Tozers, after pulling an "all nighter" in dirty overalls, to a Project Management Consultant, running meetings consisting of high level engineers and lawyers for some of the biggest corporations in Canada. (long story)

My native "Na' then fatha, are tha oreight?"couldn't quite cut that.  So I purposely lost the accent and started talking "american". Lol

But I can still revert to the Sheffield accent, when I go back, and confuse the family who don't talk like that anymore.

But not too long ago, I was in a pub back there, and ordered a pint of Stuenzes (William Stones Yorkshire Bitter) for old times sake, and the chap next to me said, "Wot's THAT p*ss, yer drinkin'?"

It was like music to my ears!

Edited by trastrick

1 hour ago, trastrick said:

In ten years I went from waiting in the rain for the first bus from Steel Peach and Tozers ..

Let's be reight - tha means "Steel Peech and Tozer's". 🙂

2 hours ago, hillsbro said:

Let's be reight - tha means "Steel Peech and Tozer's". 🙂

It's been a long time since, Hillbro. But you are the history maven here, keeping the record straight for all of us. (You're the only one that would recognize my precious Gloops Badge)

I just hope you have "succession plan" . lol

By the way, I do have a layout plan for the entire firm if anyone is interested from the Rotherham end to the Templeboro end.  Circa 1955. I must have worked (or scived) in all those machine shops, Tire Mill, Rolling Mill, Scrap Yard, Pouring Mill. Still the happiest days of my life, with the lads.

Learned dominos. Solo, 3 card brag, Crib, and how to do the Daily Mirror crossword in a 15 minute  tea break!

Hi trastrick - isn't a proficiency at 3 card brag supposed to be "a sign of a mis-spent youth"? Oh no - that's billiards. 🙂 Come to think of it, I was Hillsborough Youth Club billiards champion, 1964. 🤔  As for a "succession plan", I dunno, but I hope to be around for a long time yet. Mrs Hillsbro looks after me very well!

1 hour ago, hillsbro said:

As for a "succession plan", I dunno, but I hope to be around for a long time yet. Mrs Hillsbro looks after me very well!

Good to hear fella

2 hours ago, trastrick said:

It's been a long time since, Hillbro. But you are the history maven here, keeping the record straight for all of us. (You're the only one that would recognize my precious Gloops Badge)

I had a Gloops badge, AND it was a brass one with blue enamel!