Sheffield No 6 Signal Box

27 minutes ago, Lemmy117 said:

Woodburn, Woodhouse and Beighton will go to York ROC, I assume Totley will as well, but have not had that confirmed. 

Hi Lemmy117 and thanks !

Well, I know that Rugby took over Nuneaton and more and the signalmen controllers operaters call them what you will all sit in a row with about half a dozen monitors each and control half the west coast main line. There is another such control point in Upminster controlling all the LTS to Southend/Tilbury etc.

I joined the railway In 1981 as  a TR boy at Woodhouse Jn, I had to get myself to Tinsley Yard Admin block for 0900 Monday morning, I managed to get on the wrong 24 bus in High Street, it terminated at the Pike and Heron Pub, I walked the rest of the way and was 30 minutes late, no one battered an eyelid. 
I was taken in a yellow van by the Inspector to Woodhouse Box, after a smoke on his pipe and a cup of tea, he left me with the Signalman, who then stated “I don’t know why you’ve come here, it’ll be closed in 18 months and the route taken over by Sheffield PSB,” ironically the box is still there 39 years later, and it outlived Sheffield PSB.  Happy days