Scc Litter Pickers

This is not a complaint or a request its a THANKYOU.  Yesterday morning 5th March I was travelling down the Mosborough Bypass, when noticed lots of bin bags down each side of the road, a bit further down was a refuse collector, early morning collecting all the rubbish that either gets dumped out of vehicles or blown around the city.  On my way home the opposite direction later in the day, it looked so much nicer and cleaner.  I would like to say Thank you to that person.  Unfortunately as we are quite a dirty city, through some peoples lack of respect the road sides have this morning, just one day later got litter on them, which is such a shame.  Yes its this persons job, however wouldn't you feel let down/saddened to see your days work been trashed (pardon the pun).  Help our city look & feel great, and be proud to be cleaner.  Take your litter home & recycle it!

They did an excellent job round the back of Newfield Green shops last weekend.

And appreciation too to those who do the litter picking around the Dyke Vale Road area many weekends.

They seem to fill a fair few bags many a weekend.

Good isn’t it? 

Pay rates for the council to do it then somebody does the job for them free.

1 hour ago, MillerMike said:

Good isn’t it? 

The council also collect litter. Unfortunately, we have people in our society who think it acceptable to litter, so it's a never-ending task.

Agreed, it's not hard to use a bin! I see people in cars throwing litter out of the window and I wish I had a quid for every person I've seen drop litter.

Now, on the the council...

Is it me or do they tend to keep the main streets and areas clean but no so much the rest. A bit like the new wall scheme some years back, houses on main roads were offered them, the back streets didn't get a look in. I'm not trying to have a dig, more an observation.

They are ought to get criminals on community service picking up litter in bright orange boiler suits. 

Guest makapaka
9 hours ago, MillerMike said:

Good isn’t it? 

The council aren’t paid to pick up people’s litter.

they provide bins for people to put it in.

the idiots that throw it on the floor are responsible for that.

The litter pickers do a fantastic job all around Gleadless Valley, sadly my post will be removed if I say who’s responsible for the majority of the litter.

How long will it be before the work done fitzallen square is ruined by idiots. I saw a street cleaner picking up little bits of paper off the new grassed area the other day. He don’t bother with the beer cans and plastic bottles chucked on the new flower beds though. He just put the fence back in place and walked off.  Roadside litter is depressing too; I would like to gather up the rubbish people have chucked out of cars and throw it back into them.

Ive said for years that we ought to introduce in schools a period of time,say an hour per class, per week, where they go out and pick up litter. This might get them to think twice about dropping it if they know(and understand) that they might have to clean that up later. This won't happen because of health and safety but could be an idea

I doubt whether that would happen by the amount of litter I've seen around some school gates. Teachers or at least the adults that pass by to enter the schools either don't care or are oblivious to it.