Nostalgia In The Old Neighbourhood

Thanks bridget for your story, hope you dont mind if I put it in my book. Do ou want a name edit or your forum name,or nothing.

Thanks soyouknow

I don't know if you are referring to my mum's story (Enid Tidy ) I am briret not bridget. If it is me you are referring too then I would be happy for you to use it. I don'require any acknowledgement thanks

Sorry   predictive text entered your name wrong. Thank you very much for your story, not sure when I can release it due to current problems, but perhaps next year.

Once again thanks.... you may like our sheffield secrets book as it has similar sheffield stories.

Soyouknow books

Even tho the place i used to live on Brinsworth Steet is a pile of bricks it still holds memories for me when I drive past it or see photos of it good memories 

I would like to visit the area of Sheffield where my Gran had a sweet shop and store.  We have a picture of around 1905 of her standing outside. with my uncle who was born around 1900. The shop has our name  'Barron' above  and it has a street sign of Netherthorpe high up.  This could be Netherthorpe  Road. in a previouse post I enquired about the area being odly named Port Mahone. We have postcards addressed there.  I have looked on Sheffild pictures to find something around 60s or 70s but nothing quite fits.  I believe the  area has gone through several lots of changes over past and recent years. 

7 hours ago, inessex said:

I would like to visit the area of Sheffield where my Gran had a sweet shop and store.  We have a picture of around 1905 of her standing outside. with my uncle who was born around 1900. The shop has our name  'Barron' above  and it has a street sign of Netherthorpe high up.  This could be Netherthorpe  Road. in a previouse post I enquired about the area being odly named Port Mahone. We have postcards addressed there.  I have looked on Sheffild pictures to find something around 60s or 70s but nothing quite fits.  I believe the  area has gone through several lots of changes over past and recent years. 

There's an old thread on here from 2008: Port Mahon thread

12 hours ago, inessex said:

31 Netherthorpe Place, 1905  ( corner of St. Philips Rd.)

Arthur Edward Barron, confectioner.

Thanks for that.  Afraid it may be a couple of months before I can look t up !!!!!!!

Hi inessex - here is a link to an "overlay" map centred on Portmahon (or "PORT MAHON") as it was at the turn of the last century. Slide the blue dot to the left for a modern aerial view.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=53.38822&lon=-1.48548&layers=168&b=1

Here is part of a short article that I wrote about Portmahon:

The name Portmahon (also found as Port Mahon or Port-Mahon) does not appear on some modern maps of Sheffield, and few people are familiar with it as a locality.  The name applied to a small area in the Netherthorpe district, behind the old Royal Infirmary near St Philip’s Road, and it can be found on older Sheffield street maps.  There was a Baptist chapel known as Portmahon Chapel, built in 1839, which stood near the present Medico-Legal Centre in Watery Street, and which was demolished in the 1960s.  The name “Watery Street” refers to the stream (once spanned by the long-gone Portmahon Bridge) which came down the valley from Crookes, but which since the early 1800s has run through an underground culvert before emptying into the River Don.

Originally, Portmahon was the name of a short street which ran in a westward curve from the junction of St Philip’s Road and Upperthorpe Road.  It apparently acquired its unusual name in the 18th century, when on two occasions the British fleet captured Mahón, the largest town on the island of Menorca.  The street was evidently first laid out during a wave of patriotism that swept the country after one of these naval victories.  Portmahon was later extended south-westwards, but the extension had the name Watery Lane.  This can be seen on the portion of an undated (probably early 1890s) “Kelly’s Directory Map of Sheffield” shown here.  Some time in the 1890s the name Watery Lane began to apply to the whole street, and so the name Portmahon disappeared as a street name, but it was still used for the adjacent district.  The whole area was redeveloped in the 1960s, when Watery Lane disappeared completely, its site now being part of a recreation ground.  It is interesting to note what was told me by an old friend, whose grandmother lived in the Netherthorpe area.  She always pronounced the place-name “PortmaHON”, with the emphasis on the last syllable.  This agrees with the Spanish pronunciation of “Mahón”, unlike, for example, the Irish surname “MAHon”.

Here is a link to the Kelly's Directory map referred to.

https://i.postimg.cc/rmfwywG9/Portmahon2.jpg

Edited by hillsbro

Our Sheffield slang as kids we always said ' Puatmeon'.

My mother was from Adelphi Street/ Martin St.and I thorght they said PUT ME ON>

I lived just off the bottom of Ecclesall Road. The whole area has changed completely. When I went back about 4 years ago it brought tears to my eyes. Everything has changes even the roads don't run in the same direction and there's a whopping great Manpower building which would have been almost in our back yard. So sad.