Nostalgia In The Old Neighbourhood

Have you ever gone back to your old house or neighbourhood just to take in the nostalgia ?

The older I get the more nostalgic I become.

Visiting an old neighbourhood can be therapeutic but not sure it's healthy to spend too much time thinking about the past.

I do, I go back regularly.  Have a mooch round, call for a pint then return home feeling better for it !

Edited by kevvy
text

1952, only two cars in quite a long street

2000, cars lining both sides of the whole street.

1958, camping on the moors near ingleborough the sky was filled with stars at night.

1983, the sky was filled with an orange glow and hardly any stars

How things have changed.

I've revisited two houses in Sheffield which I lived in as a small child ( over 55 years ago )   I couldn't believe how small the houses were, whereas when I lived there as a child they didn't seem small at all.

7 hours ago, abbeyedges said:

The older I get the more nostalgic I become.

Visiting an old neighbourhood can be therapeutic but not sure it's healthy to spend too much time thinking about the past.

I spend hours remembering my early days in Sharrow and my life thereafter. Hasn't done me much harm as I reach 78 next week. I rejoice in my memories, revel in old friendships and revere my good fortune.  Maybe that's the difference. 

I'd like to see again the house where I was born but it was demolished in the 1960s. The house where I grew up was demolished in the 1980s. I'm thankfully keeping one jump ahead of the bulldozers. 🙂

7 hours ago, francypants said:

I've revisited two houses in Sheffield which I lived in as a small child ( over 55 years ago )   I couldn't believe how small the houses were, whereas when I lived there as a child they didn't seem small at all.

Same here - although the houses were near Doncaster. I thought the hall in one of the houses was the length of a cricket pitch as a five year old. Can't be more than 8 foot long.

Guest makapaka

I have - makes you sad though.

true what they say about being young - the best days of your lives.

10 hours ago, Longcol said:

Same here - although the houses were near Doncaster. I thought the hall in one of the houses was the length of a cricket pitch as a five year old. Can't be more than 8 foot long.

I had memories of the walk to infants school passing by a very high wall( least 12 feet)

I went  back as an adult. it was only 6feet!

I was born and grew up in a prefab on Green Oak estate at Totley.

I’d  been back a few times, though obviously the prefabs are long gone. Fortunately, one of our children has moved into Laverdene recently and I always get that strange feeling of ‘ coming home ‘when I get past Dore Station on the way to visit.  The hours spent trainspotting down there, the Church Halls where we danced or attended youth clubs, the shops on Totley Rise where I spent my hard earned paper round wages, the various woods we played in, the park we passed whole summers in......... just so much to remember fondly.

Like others say, it’s the size and distances  that  completely throw you out now. The road layout is the same as it was when we lived there, played football in the street and sledged down the road but everything is just so much smaller than I remembered it.

The roads seemed wider cos there were hardly any cars yet now it’s a struggle to get through with cars parked both sides.

Its more than 50 years since I left but you never forget those times.

Yes I recently went back to my childhood neighbourhood in Tinsley.

It’s changed beyond recognition, and not for the better.