Flybe Gone Bust

On 05/03/2020 at 10:17, DerbyTup said:

I suppose that jeopardises my chance of a refund then!  

I flew from Nottingham East Midlands to Edinburgh in Jan this year.  I sourced the flight through SkyScanner, which then offers a choice of airlines/agencies to buy the ticket from.  The cheapest was via an agency called Gotogate, so I made my purchase through them.

The ticket for the return leg was sold as a Flybe ticket.  But when I got to the airport there was no such flight.  There was a flight at the same time but that was with Logan Air.  I wasn't on the passenger list for Flybe or Logan Air!  I spent 40 minutes trying to get through to Gotogate customer services.  Eventually they checked and said I'd need to buy a new ticket directly from Logan Air and they would refund me for the Flybe ticket that I'd bought from them, for a flight which no longer existed.

6 weeks later I'm still waiting for Gotogate to refund my money.  The last communication from them was saying that I had to get the airline, Flybe, to confirm that the flight had been cancelled.  I contacted Flybe and they said that Gotogate should just apply for a refund from them in the usual way.

I know that Flybe used to operate flights from Edinburgh to East Midlands, but I believe they sold off that route to Logan Air.  So I'm not sure now whether it was Gotogate's fault, that they sold me a ticket for a flight that didn't exist, or whether at the time Gotogate bought the ticket from Flybe, it did exist?  Regardless, my position is that I contracted with Gotogate for a ticket and what they sold me was not valid for travel.  

It would seem like Gotogate will not be getting a refund from Flybe - so I guess my chances of getting a refund from Gotogate are nil!

I'd avoid booking through these agencies in future and only book direct with the airline - although if the airline goes bust, like this one, I guess the money is lost?

Not at all and to be perfectly honest I've no idea why you were doing this companys leg work for them.  They should chase Flybe not you.

You bought the ticket from them, so the refund comes from them and not Flybe.

If they don't refund then take them to small claims court, they don't have a leg to stand on.

Guest makapaka
On 05/03/2020 at 13:05, Baron99 said:

As mentioned on the BBC this morning, as we're still part of the EU & therefore, a government bailout  cannot be considered. 

Of course it shouldn’t - it’s part owned by a billionaire that makes money by taking on national services and providing a bad service and then waiting for the government to bail out the failure to keep the  service.

a disgrace.

It was such a treat to see Grant Schapps, or whatever name he's going by this week, on the news with his inane smile, all the time he was telling us how sorry he was.

On 05/03/2020 at 12:27, L00b said:

Airlines these days tend to lease their planes, rather than buying them.

So the FlyBe leases should be wound-up, and the planes made available to buy or lease by their owner to other airlines.

Bummer for our visiting UK friends and family, that was the last low-cost airline to do northern UK - Luxembourg direct.

I thought I heard on the news that FlyBe bought too many planes, that was part of the problem. I am aware most airlines lease them. 

Basically we are are small island so we don't really Have the market for internal regional flights

13 hours ago, lobster said:

Basically we are are small island so we don't really Have the market for internal regional flights

I disagree. When you go on long haul holidays many people take a shuttle flight down to Gatwick or Heathrow if they live near Sheffield, Rotherham or further north. Many people from Scotland end up flying down. We prefer to drive down and stay overnight either on the way there or back. Taxis are very expensive and coaches take a long time, trains can be a bit hit and miss.