Flybe Gone Bust

Airline Flybe has announced its gone bust.  Wonder how many jobs will go as a result of this 

1 hour ago, rudds1 said:

Airline Flybe has announced its gone bust.  Wonder how many jobs will go as a result of this 

Thousands directly and indirectly.

I suppose that jeopardises my chance of a refund then!  

I flew from Nottingham East Midlands to Edinburgh in Jan this year.  I sourced the flight through SkyScanner, which then offers a choice of airlines/agencies to buy the ticket from.  The cheapest was via an agency called Gotogate, so I made my purchase through them.

The ticket for the return leg was sold as a Flybe ticket.  But when I got to the airport there was no such flight.  There was a flight at the same time but that was with Logan Air.  I wasn't on the passenger list for Flybe or Logan Air!  I spent 40 minutes trying to get through to Gotogate customer services.  Eventually they checked and said I'd need to buy a new ticket directly from Logan Air and they would refund me for the Flybe ticket that I'd bought from them, for a flight which no longer existed.

6 weeks later I'm still waiting for Gotogate to refund my money.  The last communication from them was saying that I had to get the airline, Flybe, to confirm that the flight had been cancelled.  I contacted Flybe and they said that Gotogate should just apply for a refund from them in the usual way.

I know that Flybe used to operate flights from Edinburgh to East Midlands, but I believe they sold off that route to Logan Air.  So I'm not sure now whether it was Gotogate's fault, that they sold me a ticket for a flight that didn't exist, or whether at the time Gotogate bought the ticket from Flybe, it did exist?  Regardless, my position is that I contracted with Gotogate for a ticket and what they sold me was not valid for travel.  

It would seem like Gotogate will not be getting a refund from Flybe - so I guess my chances of getting a refund from Gotogate are nil!

I'd avoid booking through these agencies in future and only book direct with the airline - although if the airline goes bust, like this one, I guess the money is lost?

Guest makapaka
36 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

The actions of Ryanair didn't help.

Flybe: Ryanair's Michael O'Leary threatens legal action over rescue

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51140969

Yet he's happy to move operations from Ireland to Malta to pay less tax.

Richard Branson?

When a airline goes bust, what happens to all the planes they own ?

44 minutes ago, DerbyTup said:

I suppose that jeopardises my chance of a refund then!  

I flew from Nottingham East Midlands to Edinburgh in Jan this year.  I sourced the flight through SkyScanner, which then offers a choice of airlines/agencies to buy the ticket from.  The cheapest was via an agency called Gotogate, so I made my purchase through them.

The ticket for the return leg was sold as a Flybe ticket.  But when I got to the airport there was no such flight.  There was a flight at the same time but that was with Logan Air.  I wasn't on the passenger list for Flybe or Logan Air!  I spent 40 minutes trying to get through to Gotogate customer services.  Eventually they checked and said I'd need to buy a new ticket directly from Logan Air and they would refund me for the Flybe ticket that I'd bought from them, for a flight which no longer existed.

6 weeks later I'm still waiting for Gotogate to refund my money.  The last communication from them was saying that I had to get the airline, Flybe, to confirm that the flight had been cancelled.  I contacted Flybe and they said that Gotogate should just apply for a refund from them in the usual way.

I know that Flybe used to operate flights from Edinburgh to East Midlands, but I believe they sold off that route to Logan Air.  So I'm not sure now whether it was Gotogate's fault, that they sold me a ticket for a flight that didn't exist, or whether at the time Gotogate bought the ticket from Flybe, it did exist?  Regardless, my position is that I contracted with Gotogate for a ticket and what they sold me was not valid for travel.  

It would seem like Gotogate will not be getting a refund from Flybe - so I guess my chances of getting a refund from Gotogate are nil!

I'd avoid booking through these agencies in future and only book direct with the airline - although if the airline goes bust, like this one, I guess the money is lost?

Your money isn't lost if you buy on your credit card. I bought two holidays (flight only) directly from Thomas Cook. Flight only were not ATOL protected. I got my money back from the credit card company quite quickly, possibly around six weeks or less. 

1 hour ago, alchresearch said:

Neither the actions of the Conservative government. How much tax payer money will be lost?

1 hour ago, Padders said:

When a airline goes bust, what happens to all the planes they own ?

Airlines these days tend to lease their planes, rather than buying them.

So the FlyBe leases should be wound-up, and the planes made available to buy or lease by their owner to other airlines.

Bummer for our visiting UK friends and family, that was the last low-cost airline to do northern UK - Luxembourg direct.

1 minute ago, L00b said:

Airlines these days tend to lease their planes, rather than buying them.

So the FlyBe leases should be wound-up, and the planes made available to buy or lease by their owner to other airlines.

Bummer for our visiting UK friends and family, that was the last low-cost airline to do northern UK - Luxembourg direct.

Thank you Loob.

3 hours ago, alchresearch said:

Flybe: Ryanair's Michael O'Leary threatens legal action over rescue

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51140969

Yet he's happy to move operations from Ireland to Malta to pay less tax.

As mentioned on the BBC this morning, as we're still part of the EU & therefore, a government bailout  cannot be considered.