Photos Shown On Monitor

This is difficult to explain but when my pc has been quiet for a while I get pictures showing - they ask do I like this etc. but when I press enter to open the computer up nothing happens I have to ctrl alt delete.  It then goes to sign in and I can press enter and the thing fires up correctly.    This is annoying any suggestions?

Yep, I get this all the time....I'm not interested, I just want the blooming thing to start.

You can turn it off. Control Panel, Personalisation, Lock Screen. Change it to what you want :)

Hi Smary, 

With little detail supplied, it's not easy to work out what is going on?

Is it a Desktop, Laptop, Tablet, what OS?

Are you meaning it Freezes? Or is it slow to Respond, once an Icon is pressed?

when Opening Folders? Or Files?

What Were you doing prior?

The context of what you did, in what order, can be helpful! In Diagnosis.

1 hour ago, probedb said:

You can turn it off. Control Panel, Personalisation, Lock Screen. Change it to what you want :)

And if your screen is locking too soon for you, alter the timeout to longer. Mine are normally 1 hour on desktop, 20 minutes on laptops. You can change it it power settings and other places (I use Control panel > power settings)

Also turn off the annoying "fun facts" on your lock screen.

17 hours ago, DeZeus said:

Hi Smary, 

With little detail supplied, it's not easy to work out what is going on?

Is it a Desktop, Laptop, Tablet, what OS?

Are you meaning it Freezes? Or is it slow to Respond, once an Icon is pressed?

when Opening Folders? Or Files?

What Were you doing prior?

The context of what you did, in what order, can be helpful! In Diagnosis.

Hi DeZeus,

Your clearly not a Windows 10 user (like me) - as soon as I read the OP I knew what it was. It's just M$ asking for useless feedback on it's wallpapers. I suspect images based on the fact that you live in the UK so they will be mainly UK related vistas (no reference to that earlier M$ OS!)

5 hours ago, swarfendor437 said:

Hi DeZeus,

Your clearly not a Windows 10 user (like me) - as soon as I read the OP I knew what it was. It's just M$ asking for useless feedback on it's wallpapers. I suspect images based on the fact that you live in the UK so they will be mainly UK related vistas (no reference to that earlier M$ OS!)

Correctly Identified, as a Retired XP Admin User, previously upgraded from other OS's  like 2000, Me, Win 7, MSDOS, win 3.11, win 3.1, Dosshell, win 1, OS2 Warp.

Where I have upgraded a few of my old machines, To Win 10 from Win 7 

However I've not used Win 10 much since retiring, Seem Stuck in my ways on Win 7....

Currently I'm slowly exploring the Linux OS Learning the Linux Ways....& Community....

FREE......Software...

Windows 10 is free... to upgrade to, from 7/8...

7 support has ended, and there should be no reason to stick with 7 over 10 now...

10 can also be configured to be pretty much the same as 7, bar a few visual elements!

11 hours ago, Ghozer said:

Windows 10 is free... to upgrade to, from 7/8...

7 support has ended, and there should be no reason to stick with 7 over 10 now...

10 can also be configured to be pretty much the same as 7, bar a few visual elements!

Agreed, It can also be configured in minutes on how it looks, how long it  stays awake and how much privacy you want. We have our resident Windows hater that uses each and every opportunity to put Windows 10 down but in truth, all that's needed is a bit of time learning and you have an OS that will run without issue. I use Windows, macOS and Linux, if I were to put them in a daily use order which includes general use and how easy it it is to get programs and drivers etc, it would be as follows...

Windows

macOS

Linux

I'm sure others list would be in a different order but I find Win 10 the best option for my use without any doubt.

Hi Guys, 

I have used many OS's over my working life, some seemingly were very stable, like from win 98 at the time, Etc.. then M$ started to make thing prettier, with more features over time.

I have always mainly used Windows because I used it at my work place, plus I already knew how it ticks, following its upgrading routes.

However since retiring, Funds can be tighter, so I explored differing offerings.

I still use M$ OS preferring what I know well - My Desktop PC still runs Win 7, I see no reason to ditch it just because, it won't upgrade to the prettier.. Win 10.

My Laptop is Win 10, but rarely switched it on since I've retired, I'm more likely to reach for my Trusty iPad 2  or iPod or iPhone.

So my personal current choice of Fav OS's would be:

Windows 7 (Desktop)

Mac OS X (Phone/iPads)

Linux (Android Tablets)

Win 10 (Laptop)

Hi DeZeus,

Well you have lots to go at on the Linux front. If 64-bit then I would go for Feren OS (not Classic) or Zorin Core - both free. For 32-bit/low-end I would go for Antix 19, MX Linux 19, Sparky Linux, Voyager 18.04.3 LTS, SolydX 32-bit Community Stable Edition  - but last time I visited I think they  were updating the distros. FerenOS does 32-bit but can only guarantee until 2023 when Canonical (Ubuntu) is pulling the plug on supporting 32-bit OS.

On Family member rig I put FerenOS 64-bit and isntalled their Windows 7 64-bit as a VM - works better than actual install as it kept losing 'Home Network' on PowerLIne adapter - plus, having a backup of the VM machine should it go west with a Virus, VM can be deleted and just drag and drop the backup. Plus VM of 7 can be powered off in current state so no need to wait for the boot logo or login. 😉

Edited by swarfendor437