The Boomerang Pub, Upperthorpe

Guest makapaka

Does anyone have any information / memories about this pub?

do you know when it closed and what it was like inside - anything really?

I remember it from the 80's as it used to be the HQ of the Crookes & District Darts League - Craig, the landlords son, used to run the league at one point.  I seem to recall a finals night down there as well as playing there from my local. The dart board was in a corner which was unusual with the throw being 45 degrees to the two walls. It was also near the door to the gents which meant the thrower was often interupted.

Typical estate pub for the area - White Hart, White Rails, Bathfield all built around the same time (late 60's?). I think the Boomerang outlived the Bathfield.

It was Netherthorpe rather than Upperthorpe.

In the late 60s I used to frequent the White Rails once a week on games night when I was courting the bride,not for the games but the sandwiches and black pudding which were free!.What a tight wad ,I must admit !.I only took her to the best places the pub was brand new and the local people were very friendly,the wife never forgot the place on one night an old couple came round with the food and said to us "Do you want a sandwich love I,ve been to the toilet but I,ve washed my hands?"."No thanks very much love!"the only time I refused food there as the pensioners looked a little on the grubby side!.I drove past the place a few years back it was boarded up and looked in a sorry state from the place I remembered all those years ago!.

Back to the Boomerang in Netherthorpe, it use to get packed every weekend and in the week as well. Maude use to play the organ , I think they called her Maude I'm sure someone one will correct me.

Her party piece were the fishing song, We'll fish all day, we'll  fish all night, something like that and the whole pub would be singing along but I am going back to the 60s.

Anyone remember?

She was quite a toughie, it paid not to get on the wrong side of her. As I remember she was the landlady too.

I think the song in question was called "barefoot days" i may be wrong though.

9 hours ago, ACE WASTE said:

I think the song in question was called "barefoot days" i may be wrong though.

You maybe right too.

The first landlord was Joe Holberry. I was friends with one of his sons Phil. 

I seem to recall he had one of the pubs on the bottom road, may have been the Don.

He left the Boomerang to go to the Newfield Green in Upper Heeley. 

Guest makapaka

Thanks for the responses - there was a lot of pubs down there which have gone and interested in the history of them.

i didn’t know the boomerang even existed until walking my dog on ponderosa.

1 hour ago, makapaka said:

Thanks for the responses - there was a lot of pubs down there which have gone and interested in the history of them.

i didn’t know the boomerang even existed until walking my dog on ponderosa.

By saying that does that mean the Boomerang is still open?

It was years since I went in there.

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, jaffa1 said:

By saying that does that mean the Boomerang is still open?

It was years since I went in there.

No - it’s not open - think it’s flats or something.

As under age teenagers we used to frequent an old pub across the road from St Stephens church ,we went to the church Saturday nights as they put on a youth club dance for youngsters!.An old lady ran it on her own Mrs Botham was her name,I think that's the correct spelling!. It was a bit run down like something out of Charles Dickens,it was the same old routine every time we went in"Are you 18" she used to say"Of course we are!" we replied!.A pint of mild was 1shilling and 1penny,about 5 and a half pence in todays money,we knocked one or two back and then departed to the dance,a few years later every thing was demolished and the Boomerang rose from the ashes to replace the old pub whos name I forget,perhaps someone can remember it!.

Guest makapaka
2 minutes ago, old tup said:

As under age teenagers we used to frequent an old pub across the road from St Stephens church ,we went to the church Saturday nights as they put on a youth club dance for youngsters!.An old lady ran it on her own Mrs Botham was her name,I think that's the correct spelling!. It was a bit run down like something out of Charles Dickens,it was the same old routine every time we went in"Are you 18" she used to say"Of course we are!" we replied!.A pint of mild was 1shilling and 1penny,about 5 and a half pence in todays money,we knocked one or two back and then departed to the dance,a few years later every thing was demolished and the Boomerang rose from the ashes to replace the old pub whos name I forget,perhaps someone can remember it!.

Was It The Australia House?  someone told me that was the background to the Boomerang getting its name. 

Edited by makapaka