Rented Property

My current landlord is selling the house I'm renting and I'm desperately looking for another place to rent long term. I've been living in this property with my children for the past three years and have always paid my rent in full on time. I'm currently receiving housing benefit but this does not affect me paying any bills on time!.

I'm looking for a three bed house. S2 would be best so i  wouldn't have to put myself and my children through another huge change of area.

Try Whitegates ? Google it for your nearest office contact number.

I will try that, thank you.

I'm feeling super discriminated against at the moment for things beyond my control.

It's the risk you take with private renting, landlords need to sell up occasionally.  It's nothing that you've done.

Have you asked if the landlord is selling it as occupied?  

If it sells to another landlord then having a tenant in place is a bonus for them, the property is good to go.

If you keep looking on the forum houses do come up but could be any area. My friend has 3 bed semi in s13 near asda that  may be coming up but wrong area for you   625 pounds a month / month deposit 12 month lease 

Plenty of parking near school

Edited by spider1

Have you approached the council re the threat of homelessness?  I'm assuming you are registered with them.  It could also be worth checking if there are any housing associations who take direct applications.   You might also want to contact Shelter if you don't find something soon.   

I haven't asked her yet, but will the next time I see her.

S13 isn't too bad to be honest. As long as it's within distance of the city I think we'd be ok.

I have checked with the council, I need to pop in with id, letters and such from the landlord.

Edited by Kassy

On 01/03/2020 at 10:31, Kassy said:

I will try that, thank you.

I'm feeling super discriminated against at the moment for things beyond my control.

Any discrimination (for you being in receipt of any benefits) should not be inferred unless there is good reason... a Landlord in the private rental sector could sell up for any reason, affecting any Tenant. The discrimination will start as you're looking for a new place, sadly. Definitely not right, possibly illegal (probably) but hard to prove and some Landlords seriously have no choice because their Insurance policy prohibits (again, unfairly) against letting to people in receipt of benefits. Hopefully it's not as tough for you as the picture I've painted. Councils / Universal Credit are also difficult to deal with. It's an imperfect situation.

I’m not sure I buy the whole land lord has no choice because of insurance excuse. I rent out a house I used to live in. My insurance allows me to let to people on benefits. It does cost me a few pounds more than other insurance, but it is a only a few pounds. I’m sure other land lords could absorb the costs if they wanted to. Or even pass the cost on to the tenant in slightly higher rent.  

Not just Insurance, also Lenders. And, with respect, it doesn't matter if you "buy it", different policies are different, different Lenders are different. Same goes for Students... Asylum Seekers... various undesirables (in the eyes of some). Let's just say it's a potential complication some could do without.

I've sent all my paperwork to the council regarding this. I'm terrified that I'll be chucked in to temporary accommodation when I have a house full of furniture and three pet cats who are my family. I have anxiety, depression and other health issues so I'm struggling to cope with this.

Does anyone know how long the waiting list is?.