2009 Mac Desktop- Fan Constantly On

Hi
Bought a late 2009 Mac- desktop. Works great but fan is near constantly hot- gets very hot at the back. Is this normal?

On a normal PC I'd suggest that you open the case and give the fan a quick hoover.

However after looking up your Mac, I don't think that's an option, I can't see how you open the case.

Should let Gosh or Ghozer advise they are top lads on here 

Chances are the screen has to be removed to clean it properly. Have a good look through running programs and make sure nothing stands out. It might also be worth checking/updating it and reading up on SMC reset etc before thinking of taking it apart. Usually the screen removal is costly and not guaranteed against it breaking. The guides and tools are all online but it's not a job for the faint hearted, look up iFixit. I used their tools/video on my own mac in the past and if you take your time, it can be done. Remember to buy the kit to put it back together.

If you don't fancy trying it yourself and the updates and resets don't work, follow the advice above. As with any PC, a clean install can cure some problems but if the fan/heatsink is full of dust, a clean install won't cure it.

4 hours ago, zach said:

It might also be worth checking/updating it and reading up on SMC reset etc before thinking of taking it apart.

As soon as I saw that words Mac + hot + fan, I thought you should reset the SMC!

How to reset the SMC of your Mac

Resetting the system management controller (SMC) can resolve certain issues related to power, battery and other features.

The SMC is responsible for managing behaviour related to the following features. If you're experiencing issues with any of these, you might need to reset the SMC. 

• Power, including the power button and power to the USB ports
  • Battery and charging
  • Fans and other thermal-management features    <<--this one!

Desktop computers

1. Shut down your Mac, then unplug the power cable.
  2. Wait 15 seconds, then plug the power cable back in.
  3. Wait 5 seconds, then press the power button to turn on your Mac.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201295

It's 11 years old and probably full of dust; it's seriously worth getting it cleaned out.