T J Hughes Closing ?

Oh jeez. The Sheffield forum nostalgia fever has infected. 

Waaaa don't like change.  Waaaa I want it back the way it was.  Waaaa all this new stuff is horrible.....

God sake.   The world evolves. Life moves on. Shopping habits have changed.

Firstly you ask where all the parking is for the cinema when there are three bloody car parks connected to The Moor itself and at least half a dozen others within a 5-10 minute walk.   

Secondly you are missing the key point in my earlier post that there are people LIVING around The Moor these days.  There are dozens of student residences and private apartment blocks around The Moor these days.  Plus at least two more I can think of are currently under construction too.    These are people who are likely to walk to these new facilities many are unlikely to own a car at all.

Time for you to wake up and realise there is life in the city centre which goes well beyond shopping.

Edited by ECCOnoob

1 hour ago, RiffRaff said:

Strange how things alter over the years.

I remember when there was a "friendly rivalry" with the Moor and Leeds Headrow as regards one being a better "shopping experience" than the other.

I don't think it's like that now.  Ever since Trinity dragged trade away from The Headrow it's gone downhill. 

The Headrow Centre or as they pretentiously call it "The Core" is virtually empty.  Matalan took over Schofields. TK Maxx took over Allders.  Even Primark moved out into the new shiny bit leaving Sports Direct to move in.   

What is happening in Sheffield happens to all cities when they redevelop.  When one half gets improved the other half declines until something else comes along to improve it.

Most sensible people realise that.  It's all part of the evolution of a city landscape. 

It's exactly the same in the retail business.  Times change, consumer demands change, competition increases and businesses have to adapt or die.  When one business closes another one comes along and takes over.

It's just forums like this where everyone seems to desperately cling on to the days of the past and blindly reject anything new.

13 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Oh jeez. The Sheffield forum nostalgia fever has infected. 

Waaaa don't like change.  Waaaa I want it back the way it was.  Waaaa all this new stuff is horrible.....

God sake.   The world evolves. Life moves on. Shopping habits have changed.

Firstly you ask where all the parking is for the cinema when there are three bloody car parks connected to The Moor itself and at least half a dozen others within a 5-10 minute walk.   

Secondly you are missing the key point in my earlier post that there are people LIVING around The Moor these days.  There are dozens of student residences and private apartment blocks around The Moor these days.  Plus at least two more I can think of are currently under construction too.    These are people who are likely to walk to these new facilities many are unlikely to own a car at all.

Time for you to wake up and realise there is life in the city centre which goes well beyond shopping.

Waffle on all you like....But WE don't like it.!

I'm all for change and innovation...That's not what has happened on the Moor.

It's been obliterated.

Folks living round the moor isn't a good thing IMHO.

Wilkinsons might want to move into the Tj Hughes store

that would be a great idea or turn it into 2 shops,keeping costs down might help.

1 hour ago, FinBak said:

Waffle on all you like....But WE don't like it.!

I'm all for change and innovation...That's not what has happened on the Moor.

It's been obliterated.

Why not?

On the continent lots of people live in city centres - it's what keeps the centres thriving in the days of internet shopping and big out of town shopping centres,

1 hour ago, FinBak said:

Why not?

anyone know who owns the properties on the moor and what they charge the businesses that run from them?? possibley Lavers or Ponsfords maybe?

2 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Why not?

city centres are well known for underworld type activities?

I think they've done a great job on the Moor - they, as in Scottish Widows, not the Council - and it's the best shopping area in the city centre.  Nostalgia for old shops long gone and the strange Sheffield-ism of being too tight to pay for parking still reigns though if this thread is anything to go by.  Then they moan about Meadowhall.

On 01/03/2020 at 00:01, ECCOnoob said:

H&M, Next, New Look, JD Sports, Gap, River Island all moved down there.

Add on all the new arrivals such as Monki, Weekend, Sketchers, Krispy Kreme, Brew & Bean, Lane7...

Have you actually walked on The Moor with your eyes open?      

I dont know why you are so confident about the failure of the cinema considering the huge number of new accommodation and residences being built around the Moor.   Add on several brand new office complexes which will increase footfall by another couple of thousand. 

Are you sure its not you in the "wrong place".

H & M, Monki & Weekend are all owned by the same company, so to be hopes that the parent company doesn't get into financial problems.  Basically the 3 shops are all selling the same things just targeting different age demographics. 

Sketchers with their own store?  Their brands are available further up The Moor in Debenhams & you can buy them a lot cheaper, when the shoes have been on the market for 6 months or so in Sports Direct. 

Think the cinema will survive but I'm not sure about the eatery outlets. 

Not to sure about a bowling alley just off The Moor either? 

Edited by Baron99

20 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Those car parks are free? 

This is what I said  "Hows it contrast to free parking at the brilliant Meadowhall and Centretainments cinemas?

Your reading comprehension skills aside. Its also laughable that you think people would park (and pay) in wet windy sheffield to walk 10 minutes to the cinema, when they could just pop to dry and warm Meadowhall with free parking.

Or they might instead make an evening of it and go to one of the many nice restaurants at Centretainments and then a film.  Where would they eat to do the same in Sheffield?  Krispy Kreme?

Its in the wrong location, and will not stay in business long. Mark my words.

There are two car parks within a minutes walk of the cinema on the Moor.  Normally virtually empty in an evening too, so you can drive in and park and get to the cinema in the time you've even found a space at Centertainment. 

P. S. The Light is a better cinema too.