T J Hughes Closing ?

3 hours ago, Chaddamp said:

Underworld activities ??  www.collinsdictionary.com     "The underworld in a city is the organized crime there and the people who are involved in it" Every City has them and thats another reason why the Moor is suffering?

In what way is the Moor suffering?

Does the closure of TJ Hughes on the Moor and in Chesterfield imply the Moor is suffering financially or that it is going downhill compared to 5 or 10 years ago? As this seems to be what you are implying.

When was the last time you went to the Moor?

Moor is not well connected to supertram.

Parking ain't great. 

It connects with southern part of Sheffield but some buses don't come near it.

Corona virus and cinema? 

James bond movie is delayed six months for example. And mission impossible stopped filming

Sorry to hear tj Hughes is gone it was a nice important shop for the moor

Edited by dutch

1 hour ago, the_bloke said:

In what way is the Moor suffering?

Does the closure of TJ Hughes on the Moor and in Chesterfield imply the Moor is suffering financially or that it is going downhill compared to 5 or 10 years ago? As this seems to be what you are implying.

When was the last time you went to the Moor?

Have you read my original post? It's none of your business when and where I go , safe to say that personal circumstances don't allow visits to the area and due to the fact that out of town sites are more convenient for me as well as thousands of others , that's another part of the reason for the Moor is in decline.

14 minutes ago, Chaddamp said:

Have you read my original post? It's none of your business when and where I go , safe to say that personal circumstances don't allow visits to the area and due to the fact that out of town sites are more convenient for me as well as thousands of others , that's another part of the reason for the Moor is in decline.

So you are giving an opinion from a position of little authority. The fact you seem to think Ponsfords owns some of the retail units when it's been Aberdeen Standard until recently when it was sold for £90m makes me think you've not visited the Moor since 1995.

Are the widely reported increases of footfall and shoppers year on year lies? As that and the increase in shops moving and opening on the Moor would suggest you are wrong, and there is no decline.

oh bless you...…...sounds like you're very worried? and Aberdeen standard sold to?????

2 hours ago, Chaddamp said:

oh bless you...…...sounds like you're very worried? and Aberdeen standard sold to?????

I'm not remotely worried. You are free to Google for news about who now owns the Moor. 

Hint: it's not Ponsfords. 

13 hours ago, Chaddamp said:

Underworld activities ??  www.collinsdictionary.com     "The underworld in a city is the organized crime there and the people who are involved in it" Every City has them and thats another reason why the Moor is suffering?

Hardly Chicago - or even Liverpool or Manchester.  Can't say I recall "organised crime" in the city centre being reported on SF beyond some fairly low level drug dealing. Not exactly protection rackets, bootlegging, gun running , the odd massacre etc.

Sad to see TJ closing but then I am of a certain vintage, the store seemed to have little appeal to younger generations. Very upsetting for staff who seem to have had no immediate notice of the store closure. Given the size of the store it would need a large retailer to take on occupation 

29 minutes ago, catmiss said:

Given the size of the store it would need a large retailer to take on occupation 

That shouldn't be much of a problem as by all accounts the Moor is now thriving with an increased footfall. Mind you that does not necessarily mean more shoppers are going into the shops there and buying stuff at the moment and the market is still in a bad shape customer wise.

the market sadly has to many empty stalls,the hot food and food seem very busy,but that's it,lack of disabled parking,the bottom part next to the market could have added disabled bays,as it is loads of cars queue up engines running ,just in case the warden comes,then go round block and back to pick up there partner ect,will miss t j hughes ,but its sad but all shopping centres in citys or even like meadowhall are suffering from online shopping,which is okay with many things,the rates don't help either do they?

On 01/03/2020 at 10:42, avalunche said:

That area has a long and illustrious history of shops not making money and closing down.   Remember Habitat?  Red Gates?  Woolworths? BHS?   Didn't JD sports actually close down there not so long ago?  

Today its T J Hughes.  Tomorrow it will be Debenhams and probably Boots.

Where's the parking for the cinema?   Hows it contrast to free parking at the brilliant Meadowhall and Centretainments cinemas?

The moor is not an area for prestigious brands.  Its for cheap tat.  

You can park in the carpark opposite the market for £2 I think if you have a cinema ticket.

We live in south-west Sheffield so the Light is popular for us and our friends as it’s easier to get to and is better than any of the older cinemas out of town. Also love the Curzon.

Footfall in town has moved massively to the Moor and will continue too, Fargate and the area around John Lewis is 50% down recently.

The units on Fargate are simply too small for most retailers of note so the Moor will be the location of choice and over time will improve in terms of the retail offer. That’s why the likes of Next have now moved.

Ive not seen what the councils plans are for Fargate but I think it’s a tough thing to solve.

It’s well suited for boutique retailers and restaurants but Sheffield can’t sustain that level of spend.

Maybe Fargate should be re-zoned as office space?

It was very busy at the moor yesterday afternoon but I have completely stopped using the new market while I did use the old market for many years. Now I walk right past it even when I am on the moor. Was at tj hughes only ten days ago and it did look a bit funny then with all the huge big sales signs all over the shop.