T J Hughes Closing ?

40 minutes ago, the_bloke said:

There are two car parks within a minutes walk of the cinema on the Moor.  Normally virtually empty in an evening too, so you can drive in and park and get to the cinema in the time you've even found a space at Centertainment. 

P. S. The Light is a better cinema too. 

Where are these free (zero cost) car parks you speak of?  Do you think perhaps they are virtually empty in the evening as no one wants to go there?

Edited by avalunche

3 hours ago, avalunche said:

Where are these free (zero cost) car parks you speak of?  Do you think perhaps they are virtually empty in the evening as no one wants to go there?

I didn't say anything about them being free. 

I'm not sure how people can moan about the city centre shops because there are too many cheap shops/not enough high end shops then show their true colours by complaining about having to pay to park. If you can afford to shop in high end shops then you can afford a few quid to park surely?

Edited by the_bloke

On 01/03/2020 at 12:40, FinBak said:

Waffle on all you like....But WE don't like it.!

I'm all for change and innovation...That's not what has happened on the Moor.

It's been obliterated.

Folks living round the moor isn't a good thing IMHO.

Who are 'we' exactly ?

Nothing has been obliterated - it's called progress and change - it happens - get over it and drag yourself into the 21st century.

Jeez

Edited by Daven

On 01/03/2020 at 10:42, avalunche said:

That area has a long and illustrious history of shops not making money and closing down.   Remember Habitat?  Red Gates?  Woolworths? BHS?   Didn't JD sports actually close down there not so long ago?  

Today its T J Hughes.  Tomorrow it will be Debenhams and probably Boots.

Where's the parking for the cinema?   Hows it contrast to free parking at the brilliant Meadowhall and Centretainments cinemas?

The moor is not an area for prestigious brands.  Its for cheap tat.  

When was the last time you walked down the Moor, with your eyes open?

JD moved from the smaller Pinstone Street store to a much larger outlet down the Moor aaaaages ago

10 hours ago, avalunche said:

Those car parks are free? 

This is what I said  "Hows it contrast to free parking at the brilliant Meadowhall and Centretainments cinemas?

Your reading comprehension skills aside. Its also laughable that you think people would park (and pay) in wet windy sheffield to walk 10 minutes to the cinema, when they could just pop to dry and warm Meadowhall with free parking.

Or they might instead make an evening of it and go to one of the many nice restaurants at Centretainments and then a film.  Where would they eat to do the same in Sheffield?  Krispy Kreme?

Its in the wrong location, and will not stay in business long. Mark my words.

What part about people living in the city centre are you not getting.  Not everybody is driving out to attercliffe to go to some glorified industrial estate.

I'm not even going to waste my time on the whole free parking nonsense as it's moronic to even suggest it.  We are comparing the middle of a city centre vs a purpose-built complex miles out from anything.  It's not even remotely the same circumstance.

Now as for people who want to make a night of it as you so say.... Well then they can choose from one of several restaurants that have been built in the same complex as the Light Cinema or if they feel inclined they can take a short walk and choose from dozens and dozens of other restaurants, bars and fast food outlets which are located a few minutes away. 

The more I read your last few posts, the more I'm convinced you have not stepped  foot on the Moor in recent times.  You clearly haven't got a clue what is going on around there if you have been down you're blind to it.

Pray tell what actual location you think it would survive in since you are so full of it.  

On 02/03/2020 at 12:08, the_bloke said:

I didn't say anything about them being free. 

I'm not sure how people can moan about the city centre shops because there are too many cheap shops/not enough high end shops then show their true colours by complaining about having to pay to park. If you can afford to shop in high end shops then you can afford a few quid to park surely?

Well you replied to my post about no free parking, by listing parking that was not free.  Perhaps pay more attention in future?

On 02/03/2020 at 19:51, ECCOnoob said:

The more I read your last few posts, the more I'm convinced you have not stepped  foot on the Moor in recent times.  You clearly haven't got a clue what is going on around there if you have been down you're blind to it.

Pray tell what actual location you think it would survive in since you are so full of it.  

No where in the centre.   Have you not heard the High street is dying?  That's actually what this topic is about.  I think I've said enough on the topic and will link back to it when it shuts down.

Might even be this year with this virus.  Who wants to sit in a room with lots of people breathing in their germs for 2 hours?  

Edited by avalunche

18 minutes ago, avalunche said:

Well you replied to my post about no free parking, by listing parking that was not free.  Perhaps pay more attention in future?

If I didn't quote you in a post, I'm not replying to you. Post #36 wasn't a reply to your post. The position of a post following one of your posts doesn't imply your post was even read or cared about.

Perhaps pay more attention in the future?

9 minutes ago, avalunche said:

No where in the centre.   Have you not heard the High street is dying?  That's actually what this topic is about.  I think I've said enough on the topic and will link back to it when it shuts down.

Might even be this year with this virus.  Who wants to sit in a room with lots of people breathing in their germs for 2 hours?  

Valley Centertainment is immune from that then?    

Based on your nonsense posts - Your logic is that a cinema in the city centre (apparently the wrong place) is certain to die because of coronavirus but everything about Valley and Meadowhall (apparently the right place) will perform fine and survive....   Riiiight 🙄.   

You do realise people are still going to work every day in big room filled with people.  They are still travelling, they are still shopping they are still undergoing leisure activities.   Despite the Daily Mail hysteria the country isn't on lockdown yet.   

The high street is evolving not dying. Two very different things.  Its purpose is changing.  The habits of the populous living and working around it are changing.

People have tried to explain to you but you seemingly completely ignore it.  Yes - I think you clearly have said enough.  You have no idea what you're talking about and have no rational argument.

Not sure why anyone would think that "we" don't want people living in the city centre?  It can only be a good thing.    More foot fall for the shops, less reliance on polluting transport for commutes, property that has stood empty for years (if not decades) being developed to house people.  Yeah, terrible thing that. 🙄

Speaking to several colleagues who have moved from and lived in many other cities, Sheffield city centre is seen as being much nicer than Leeds or Manchester for singles/couples living as it's reasonably priced, plenty of parks/green space nearby and, importantly, it feels safe.  Pretty much the only reason they'll move out of the centre is when they have families and want bigger properties.  The way people live has evolved too - people tend not to live in the one house all their life anymore!

2 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Valley Centertainment is immune from that then?    

Based on your nonsense posts - Your logic is that a cinema in the city centre (apparently the wrong place) is certain to die because of coronavirus but everything about Valley and Meadowhall (apparently the right place) will perform fine and survive....   Riiiight 🙄.   

You do realise people are still going to work every day in big room filled with people.  They are still travelling, they are still shopping they are still undergoing leisure activities.   Despite the Daily Mail hysteria the country isn't on lockdown yet.   

The high street is evolving not dying. Two very different things.  Its purpose is changing.  The habits of the populous living and working around it are changing.

People have tried to explain to you but you seemingly completely ignore it.  Yes - I think you clearly have said enough.  You have no idea what you're talking about and have no rational argument.

It was very very very quiet in worksop yesterday. If I had a business there I'd be panicking.

On 01/03/2020 at 14:37, Chaddamp said:

anyone know who owns the properties on the moor and what they charge the businesses that run from them?? possibley Lavers or Ponsfords maybe?

city centres are well known for underworld type activities?

What are underworld type activities?

On 01/03/2020 at 12:40, FinBak said:

Waffle on all you like....But WE don't like it.!

I'm all for change and innovation...That's not what has happened on the Moor.

It's been obliterated.

Folks living round the moor isn't a good thing IMHO.

Who's WE? And in what way do you speak for them? You most certainly don't speak for me. The more people living in the centre, the better, IMO. People bring spending power, which brings leisure activities, restaurants and bars, cinemas, galleries. 

15 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

What are underworld type activities?

Who's WE? And in what way do you speak for them? You most certainly don't speak for me. The more people living in the centre, the better, IMO. People bring spending power, which brings leisure activities, restaurants and bars, cinemas, galleries. 

Underworld activities ??  www.collinsdictionary.com     "The underworld in a city is the organized crime there and the people who are involved in it" Every City has them and thats another reason why the Moor is suffering?