T J Hughes Closing ?

Is it LHR Holding that has gone under taking TJ Hughes with it? LHR only set up March last year .

I used to buy a lot from them when they were in the old House of Frazer building.   Casual clothes, kitchenware, bedding.    But then they decided to move into the new "heart" of the city which is far too far from the actual centre.   

So not surprised its gone, stupid decisions yet again.  

23 minutes ago, avalunche said:

I used to buy a lot from them when they were in the old House of Frazer building.   Casual clothes, kitchenware, bedding.    But then they decided to move into the new "heart" of the city which is far too far from the actual centre.   

The move has nothing to do with it.    The company (and more importantly their Partent, Lewis's Home Retail) has been struggling for nearly a decade.

They were always on the brink or in Administration.   They closed 22 stores down in 2011 and have always been on a cliff edge.

Back in the day it was a nice try for them to  place what was essentially a discount, pile it high, sell it cheap into the shell of a 5 floor luxury department store unit, but it was never going to last.  In fact, it was totally off precedent to the format of all the other stores in the group.     The move into a smaller unit was a smart one, even more so when (despite your claim that its not central) shopping was and still is all moving down towards the Moor area. 

However, on this occasion we the public have decided that with our wallets that its not to be and the company cannot sustain it.   They couldn't even sustain a branch in Chesterfield despite it having far less rent liability and even less competitors around it.     

Lets face it, what did TJ Hughes on the Moor offer that 1001 other big box discount stores, Department Stores or the internet offer.  They weren't even that cheap on some of their items - in fact I used to reguarly find things that I knew I could get for less a couple of doors away. 

Its a bloody and trying battle for all retailers these days.   Times have changed and the retailers have to adapt to our ever changing demands or die.

A prime example is right across the road from TJs.   Atkinsons.  The once stalwart of the posh blue rinse brigade - they know full well that that market has a shelf life so they are constatly freshening up, keeping their stock selective but evolving and more importantly bringing in younger brands into their fashion and homewares to ensure they keep their footfall.   Compare that with Debenhams whose store and stock range is huge but looks and feels almost the same as it did in the 1980s Pauldens days.

To a point perhaps, although IMO there will always be a certain level of shopping.   The internet doesn't do everything and for some physical shopping is a leisure and social activity more than just the act of buying.

I would anticipate that the main evolution of our high street, as is already happening is cities, will be mixed use.    Gone are the days of a mile or so long parade of stores to be replaced by a mix of shopping, commerce, leisure and living space even on the same street.      Zoning restrictions will certainly become much more blurred

6 hours ago, Chaddamp said:

The High Street is dead me thinks

Do you really 'thinks' that much though ? 

7 hours ago, avalunche said:

You might have noticed that nearly all shops of note have moved from the 'old heart' of the city centre, because it's a dump.

1 hour ago, the_bloke said:

You might have noticed that nearly all shops of note have moved from the 'old heart' of the city centre, because it's a dump.

Its Sheffield, its been a dump forever, and the bottom of the Moor certainly isn't a nice part.    

What are the shops of note you speak of?  All I can think of is the jumble sale shop aka Primark.   Debenhams will most likely be gone this year, and I already predicted that new cinema will not last. Its in the wrong place.

Where did Hotel Chocolat decide to open their store, arguably one of our few premium brands?  Not down the Moor, but in the actual heart, or centre,  the High Street.

1 hour ago, avalunche said:

Its Sheffield, its been a dump forever, and the bottom of the Moor certainly isn't a nice part.    

What are the shops of note you speak of?  All I can think of is the jumble sale shop aka Primark.   Debenhams will most likely be gone this year, and I already predicted that new cinema will not last. Its in the wrong place.

Where did Hotel Chocolat decide to open their store, arguably one of our few premium brands?  Not down the Moor, but in the actual heart, or centre,  the High Street.

H&M, Next, New Look, JD Sports, Gap, River Island all moved down there.

Add on all the new arrivals such as Monki, Weekend, Sketchers, Krispy Kreme, Brew & Bean, Lane7...

Have you actually walked on The Moor with your eyes open?      

I dont know why you are so confident about the failure of the cinema considering the huge number of new accommodation and residences being built around the Moor.   Add on several brand new office complexes which will increase footfall by another couple of thousand. 

Are you sure its not you in the "wrong place".

Edited by ECCOnoob

10 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

H&M, Next, New Look, JD Sports, Gap, River Island all moved down there.

Add on all the new arrivals such as Monki, Weekend, Sketchers, Krispy Kreme, Brew & Bean, Lane7...

Have you actually walked on The Moor with your eyes open?      

I dont know why you are so confident about the failure of the cinema considering the huge number of new accommodation and residences being built around the Moor.   Add on several brand new office complexes which will increase footfall by another couple of thousand. 

Are you sure its not you in the "wrong place".

That area has a long and illustrious history of shops not making money and closing down.   Remember Habitat?  Red Gates?  Woolworths? BHS?   Didn't JD sports actually close down there not so long ago?  

Today its T J Hughes.  Tomorrow it will be Debenhams and probably Boots.

Where's the parking for the cinema?   Hows it contrast to free parking at the brilliant Meadowhall and Centretainments cinemas?

The moor is not an area for prestigious brands.  Its for cheap tat.  

Strange how things alter over the years.

I remember when there was a "friendly rivalry" with the Moor and Leeds Headrow as regards one being a better "shopping experience" than the other.

I agree with a lot of what 'avalunche' has said.

The Moor is certainly no where near as nice as it was years ago.

Very odd place to put a Cinema.!

The market is awful..!

Tragic what happened to RedGates. I have very fond memories of that store. 

Similarly 'Beaties' model shop on pinstone St.

A sad loss to the town centre.