Reset Old Ipad

As part of something at work we were getting rid of older stuff and we had an old iPad2 going begging so I thought I'd take it and use it as a device to mess around on instead of using my phone. Turns out the iPad is reset but still locked with the previous users passcode who has now left the business. 

I have tried connecting it to a power source and iTunes, putting it in recovery mode which then updated the software etc but tells me it can not restore the device till I enter the pass code. I'm more of an android man myself so I hear these things are pretty bulletproof but would any of you guys know of a way to unlock this thing or is it effectively an over engineered paperweight at this point. It didn't cost me anything so it doesn't cause me any issues either way. 

Thanks

There must be some way of getting in touch with previous owner .  

@Tomm06 Unless you can contact the previous owner as spider1 suggests, you have got an 'over-engineered paperweight' - only the current registered owner can restore or modify the base settings on Apple devices - believe me, I've had all sorts of fun trying this in the past, but fortunately been able to contact previous owners.

There is a guy advertising on facebook he can unlock locked apple products.   Will look out for his ad next time I see it 

@rudds1 He'll probably be 'rooting' them, which is not recommended.

The  way Apple iPad System works is if the previous owner signs into Their online Account with Apple, that's their Apple ID, if in that account the Item  is logged as Lost, Missing, Stolen, Apple makes that item unusable, until they delete the item off their ID.

If never ever Deleted off the list in their ID, it would remain Junk! For you....

If I was you I'd befriend one the Expert GEEKS in the Apple Shop, if you can prove you acquired it legitimately, I believe they can Help You!

2 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

@rudds1 He'll probably be 'rooting' them, which is not recommended.

Rooting ???

6 minutes ago, rudds1 said:

Rooting ???

Fiddling with the basic Apple settings, therefore effectively potentially reducing it to a paperweight.

@RollingJ

55 minutes ago, rudds1 said:

Rooting ???

I have never heard of this expression before - where does it Originate from?

Gardening? Farming? ....?.....

Unless you meant Rooting About? Or is it Routing About?

1 hour ago, spider1 said:

There must be some way of getting in touch with previous owner .  

We've made attempts, obviously it was some time ago. 

I'm not putting too much effort in to it really I was effectively just saving it from the scrap bin but it seems that's where it's destined for. I'm not entirely sure I could convince myself to walk in to the Apple store, I've been once or twice with a friend, certainly not my sort of place lol.

Thanks for the help :)

7 minutes ago, DeZeus said:

@RollingJ

I have never heard of this expression before - where does it Originate from?

Gardening? Farming? ....?.....

Unless you meant Rooting About? Or is it Routing About?

No idea where it originates - probably gardening/farming, but it effectively means interfering with the base electronics of a device -usually to instal non-approved or non-standard software.  Quite common with modem/routers, and now with mobiles, but usually those on the Android OS - Apple are much harder due to their electronic architecture.

an iPad 2 isn't worth it anymore, 99% of apps wont work, many websites wont work or work properly (as the safari version is old now)

You can bypass the lock on iOS 9.36 (the latest an iPad 2 can use)

And to answer peoples questions re "rooting" it comes from Linux, as the "root" account is the primary/master administrator account, "rooting" something is simply unlocking full access to the system to tweak/edit/change things you wouldn't normally be able to!

the "root" directory of a computer its it's primary hard drive/storage device...

the Windows Root is "C:\Windows\"

Edited by Ghozer