Best Way To Cook Squid And/Or Octopus

I absolutely love squid and octopus and often order it when eating out in restaurants, yet I never seem to have  been able to master the art of cooking it properly at home.  I've tried the "fast cook" methods of plunging it into boiling water and cooking it at a vigorous  bubble for a few minutes...I've tried the "slow cook" methods of doing it for a couple of hours at a very gentle simmer with the lid on ….I've tried slow-braising in the oven, under foil,  with stock and  aromats - I've tried cooking the squid or octopus whole and I've tried cutting it into separate rings and tentacles before I cook it - but whichever way I do it,  although it usually turns out to be  nice and tasty,  it always seems to turn out to be far too rubbery and chewy.

Can anyone out there give me any tips on the best way to cook squid and octopus so that it turns out to be nicely soft  and tender?

I rarely cook squid but we do often have octopus and I always have it slow cooked in onions, olives and tomatos.

I know in Greece they tend to BBQ a whole tentacle to get the charred effect but our home ovens just aren't that hot