Taking Action Shots

What sort of lens do I want for taking action shots of football and stuff like that?  I had a DSLR Canon 400D until I sold it a couple years ago. Kept most of the lenses apart from the one which came supplied with it so I'm looking to buy a more current Canon camera which will also take the old lenses.

I'd go to Harrisons Cameras on London Road for advice. Very helpful staff there. 

The camera is more important than the lens.  You need a good burst speed.  On a cloudy day or floodlit you need a camera that is not too grainy when you put the ISO up to shoot at higher shutter speeds.

I prefer a zoom lens to a prime.  An f2.8 70-200mm zoom will give a nice background blur on closer shots but is only useful when the action is relatively near.   Depending on your camera’s sensor you may be able to crop heavily on longer shots.  A 100 -400mm f5.6 lens with optical stabilisation and fast focussing will enable you to take longer distance shots.  I find a monopod helpful.

@ttparsons  thanks for all those helpful pointers.  Bit outside my budget atm, but am hopeful of something materialising out of a timely chat I had yesterday.