Abbyy Finereader 6.0 Will Not Start

My Finereader 6.0 is on a disc that came with the pc 15 years ago. Finereader has always opened when I clicked on the icon, even when I installed it on my new computer about two years ago and has been no problem until recently, when it would not open. So I reloaded the disc and re installed Finereader but now I'm lost in the excessive complication of choosing a TWAIN source. What I eventually did choose did work up to a point and it allowed me to see all the parts of Finereader as a list of programs but Finereader still doesn't open like it used to. I still cannot do an OCR scan. Could this have something to do with any recent Windows 10 updates? If so I could delete these updates maybe?

Edited by woolyhead

It's likely it won't work with Windows 10..

There's a new(er) version on their website...

https://support.abbyy.com/hc/en-us/articles/360004048200

Remove your finereader totally, and use a new(er) version - or use something different (most office suites and word processing supports TWAIN / OCR import)

Hi Ghozer. Well I've been using it successfully with Windows 10 for over a year. But thanks for your other input. 

well ORC and TWAIN are for using capture via a Scanner or similar...

Windows 10 is likely 64bit, using 64bit drivers...

The software being 15 years+ old, it will be 32bit (or maybe even 16bit) and may not know how to use 64bit drivers, crash and freeze as a result etc...

I wouldn't uninstall any Windows 10 updates, I would look into alternative (modern) equivalent software instead.

Have you tried running it in Compatibility mode? I remember version 6 didn't work with Windows 7 after migrating from XP at work. The oldest version that is compatible with Windows 10 is version 7 (Abbyy FineReader Pro).

Have you tried using Office Lens? It's free and in the Windows store.

Thanks swarfend437 and Ghozer. Actually my computer is 32 bit and the Finereader 6.0 was working fine up to a month or so ago. I  agree not to remove Windows 10 updates though.  I'm still looking into the other things you say. 

I'd be surprised if you had Windows 10 32bit (it's a VERY rare occurrence, as 95% of computers in the past 15 or so years are 64bit)

If your computer is that old, then maybe you should consider an upgrade, it can't be a pleasant experience...

My computer has a 32 bit operating system, Windows 10 but also a 64 bit processor. Sounds weird? I wouldn't know, just going by the information on screen under "this computer, properties." I'm no expert but I have a feeling there is something wrong with the registry under "printers." The reason I say this is that my grandson borrowed the computer a few weeks ago and he has a habit of messing things up in computers. When I asked him what he'd done he couldn't remember but thought he might have had a look in the registry. So my question to you gents now is this:- Which way should I try to put things right in the register, one of the automatic ways available for free download, or the Windows way built into the computer, or a manual way? The Windows may be a manual way for all I know at the moment. Any advice please? And please don't tell me that only an expert should mess about with the register. I'm gonna have a go, whatever. I learn best by making mistakes. But if your help could help me avoid making mistakes I would be grateful to receive it, please. 

Edited by woolyhead

On 28/02/2020 at 18:27, Ghozer said:

I'd be surprised if you had Windows 10 32bit (it's a VERY rare occurrence, as 95% of computers in the past 15 or so years are 64bit)

If your computer is that old, then maybe you should consider an upgrade, it can't be a pleasant experience...

Not weird at all, some of the old rigs at work have Windows 10 x86 (32-bit) installed.