Two More Stores Closing In Rotherham Town Centre - Poundland Now Reopened

Argos is closing on 7th March, and Poundland the following Saturday.

Every cloud...... 
RMBC has pledged extra parking, upgraded lighting,replacement of litter bins, signs & bollards, and user friendly seating! :huh:

Edited by nikki-red

Rotherham town centre has been dead ever since Parkgate/Meadowhall opened and the pedestrianisation took place in the early 1990s. Even now with free weekend parking on offer, and 2hrs free during the rest of the week, they still can't attract the footfall. 

36 minutes ago, Michael_N said:

2hrs free during the rest of the week

Michael, is that the large carpark at the side of Tesco extra bordering Wharncliffe St/Drummond St? 

Edited by Janus

Argos will be moving into sainsburys? its normally where theyve been going

1 hour ago, Janus said:

Michael, is that the large carpark at the side of Tesco extra bordering Wharncliffe St/Drummond St? 

part of that car par k is and also part of the old tesco site on forge island are 2 hour free in the week but they are limited

Yes people "vote with their feet" .Modern way of shopping doesn't involve paying to park now,and or having to travel into city centres to get what they need quickly.How on earth did my Gran manage... she born 1883 had 5 children,no gas or electric or car or  internet or bus service or shops,NHS,librarys orholidays,the list is endless!!.She passed 1986,never  complained  ever about anything and wondered what all the fuss was about when all family gathered to be with her on her 100th.For heavens sake people realise how we are "spoiled " compared with Gran and feel how we live in luxury compared to her? (over and out x)

1 hour ago, Chaddamp said:

Yes people "vote with their feet" .Modern way of shopping doesn't involve paying to park now,and or having to travel into city centres to get what they need quickly.How on earth did my Gran manage... she born 1883 had 5 children,no gas or electric or car or  internet or bus service or shops,NHS,librarys orholidays,the list is endless!!.She passed 1986,never  complained  ever about anything and wondered what all the fuss was about when all family gathered to be with her on her 100th.For heavens sake people realise how we are "spoiled " compared with Gran and feel how we live in luxury compared to her? (over and out x)

You’re dead right-people these days moan too much

1 hour ago, Chaddamp said:

feel free to live like the 1920s, hopefully youll enjoy it

3 hours ago, gluedtopc said:

You’re dead right-people these days moan too much

You don't seem to believe in the idea of improving quality of life. How about improvements in medicine? That has come a long way since the 1980s. Should we not complain when we are not treated with the latest advances? What about the Equality Act 2010? Should we not complain about all forms of discrimination?

Your comment is pretty brain dead. 

Back on topic and stop bickering please.

Edited by nikki-red

11 hours ago, Janus said:

Argos is closing on 7th March, and Poundland the following Saturday.

Always was a bit upmarket for Rovvrum. Now if they'd had a Twobobland or even a Tannerland..........................................

22 hours ago, Michael_N said:

Rotherham town centre has been dead ever since Parkgate/Meadowhall opened and the pedestrianisation took place in the early 1990s. Even now with free weekend parking on offer, and 2hrs free during the rest of the week, they still can't attract the footfall. 

Pedestrianisation started long before then but you are right about Park Gate and Meadowhall killing town.  They did a massive change one weekend with pedestrianisation in August 1983, I remember it well! I wondered what they were doing on the weekend but I would find out a few days later. I took my driving test that week and came face to face with a ranting motorist head on in my lane. The road near Brittains Department store? used to be one way but it changed to two way traffic. Not really what you want when taking a driving test!  

I moved to Worksop in 1992 but back to Rotherham in 2000. I still used to go to Worksop because Rotherham isn't as easy or cheap to park. I don't go to Worksop much either these days. There are a few nice in dependant shops in Rotherham but its the parking that puts me off. I like to shop and dash not wander round.