Sheffield Half Marathon 2020 - Should it now be cancelled?

Ok its creeping up on us again who's ready (the usual suspects?) hows the training going?

Did a very cold rekey up Ringinglow today and trained a fair but over the winter.

Going for sub 1.50 again. 

good work. I`ll be watching , I suspect. my form is pretty sketchy but OH is entered.

I am in 100 %, going for 2 h. Have an extra stone this year

Sub 3 hour target here, down from 1:50 a few years back! Wondering if it’ll get postponed....

Given the PM's comments this afternoon, on the importance of avoiding any unnecessary contact with people, and also that mass participation events will not be supported (by emergency services, so presumably police, medical staff, etc); is it really a good idea to gather 5,000 or so people, tightly packed on Arundel Gate, at the height of this epidemic, ready to run 13.1 miles?

Edited by Waldo

https://www.runforall.com/community/news/official-statement-covid-19-sheffield-half-marathon/

Official Statement - COVID-19 Sheffield Half Marathon

6 March 2020

We know there are a lot of excited runners busy preparing for the Sheffield Half Marathon later this month and so we wanted to reassure you that following the UK Government, World Health Organisation and other public bodies current advice that all mass events should still go ahead, we have every intention of hosting the event on Sunday 29th March.  

Our team will continue to liaise with Sheffield City Council accordingly and will ensure any appropriate advice and guidance is shared with you, our runners.

We will continue to closely monitor the developments relating to COVID-19 both nationally and regionally and will keep you up to date as entrants, of any changes to our events programme in 2020.

Should the UK Government announce that mass events are to be cancelled from the 29th March, we have put plans in place to host the Sheffield Half Marathon instead on the same day as the Sheffield 10K, Sunday 27th September.

If you have entered both events already and the Sheffield Half Marathon is held the same day as the Sheffield 10K, you will be contacted directly and be issued a full refund for your Sheffield 10K entry.

Any further updates will be shared on our website, social channels and in direct comms to entrants. 

Edited by Waldo

13 hours ago, Waldo said:

I have rather selfish reasons for hoping for a postponement: I have recently had surgery for a herniated disk and am only just getting walking again. By September I might be capable of jogging round in around 3 hours...

40 minutes ago, PeteM01 said:

I have rather selfish reasons for hoping for a postponement: I have recently had surgery for a herniated disk and am only just getting walking again. By September I might be capable of jogging round in around 3 hours...

Yeah, I think I'd prefer if postponed as I'm probably going to be in much better shape in September.

However, still really concerned on the public health angle here. Thousands of people tightly packed like sardines on the start line, just strikes me as absolute madness given current situation. Really hope they cancel (apologies to and keen runners here chomping at the bit).

No two ways about it.....this should be immediately cancelled.....if the organisers cant do it now and as they say rearrange then SCC should step in and withdraw their permissions......what's wrong with folk....do they really want to die ?

And it has been postponed...

After consultation with Sheffield City Council, following yesterday’s UK Government announcement, advising the public to stop non-essential contact and all non-essential travel, we can confirm that the Sheffield Half Marathon, which was due to be staged on Sunday 29th March, has been postponed.

Understandably there will be a lot of disappointed runners but the safety of you the runners and the public must come first.

We will be in touch shortly with all entrants directly to advise you of your options. The Sheffield Half will now be staged on Sunday 27th September alongside the Sheffield 10K. Should current entrants not be able to make this date, they will be offered the opportunity to transfer to another event. An email with further details will be sent to entrants later this week. 

Happy to hear it's been postponed. Think they had no choice really.

Best of luck recovering from the operation Pete, and good luck with the training for September.

Its 27th September then