Can you put traffic cones outside your house to stop people parking?

Short answer of no has already been given.

Long answer is still no and you're commiting an offence if you do so, Section 137 of Highways Act 1980, Wilful obstruction - If a person, without lawful authority or excuse, in any way wilfully obstructs the free passage along a highway he is guilty of an offence and liable to a fine not exceeding [F1level 3 on the standard scale].

11 hours ago, lindylou53 said:

This reminds me of people who place large stones/rocks on 'their' grass verges outside their houses. I know it's annoying to have verges churned up but it's not their right either to stop people parking on verges. 

If the space is so tight that you need to park on the grass verge, have the decency to park elsewhere and not ruin the verge.

Edited by Bargepole23

12 hours ago, lindylou53 said:

This reminds me of people who place large stones/rocks on 'their' grass verges outside their houses. I know it's annoying to have verges churned up but it's not their right either to stop people parking on verges. 

I live on a road that has recently suffered from people dropping kids off at school and one guy parking a long-wheel base transit on the grass verge. The grass is so churned up there isn't any grass left, not only that the pavements are covered in thick mud. The road has huge muddy tyre marks on it too. People on the road had spent years making decent grassed kerbs neat and tidy for them to be totally wrecked with huge swathes of mud all over the drop kerbs and tarmac.

8 minutes ago, Reesh2052 said:

I live on a road that has recently suffered from people dropping kids off at school and one guy parking a long-wheel base transit on the grass verge. The grass is so churned up there isn't any grass left, not only that the pavements are covered in thick mud. The road has huge muddy tyre marks on it too. People on the road had spent years making decent grassed kerbs neat and tidy for them to be totally wrecked with huge swathes of mud all over the drop kerbs and tarmac.

^^^^^

This really does drag the area down aesthetically. You see it even in the South Western sought after areas where the verges are all churned up. I can understand why people puts rocks on the verges and would support them doing it. 

38 minutes ago, blackydog said:

^^^^^

This really does drag the area down aesthetically. You see it even in the South Western sought after areas where the verges are all churned up. I can understand why people puts rocks on the verges and would support them doing it. 

My dad lives on a cul-de-sac, right at the end.

There is a large turning area right at the start of the road, but people still insisted on driving right to the end, and turning round in his driveway and driving across his grass.

So he used to put out huge rocks painted bright white, just on the edge of the grass where it meets the driveway.

He said the best tool he managed to get (other than people grinding their bumpers) was a white van man who actually managed to get stuck and tore his own bumper off 🤣

7 hours ago, Halibut said:

No you can't. 

But you can try the council ...

"If the vehicle is blocking access to your driveway you should first make enquiries with the neighbours to see if they know who the car belongs to so they can move it.

In most areas local councils have now taken on responsibility for enforcing parking provisions under what is known as Civil Parking Enforcement (CPE). Under CPE it's an offence to park a vehicle so that it blocks a dropped kerb driveway"

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q440.htm#

(Sheffield has CPE)

15 hours ago, lindylou53 said:

well, all depends... it's an offence to drive on the pavement even for a short distance, so if this means ANY wheels are driving on the pavement before hitting the grass verge, then it's actually illegal.... also, going UP over raised curbs....

5 minutes ago, henrypond said:

"If the vehicle is blocking access to your driveway you should first make enquiries with the neighbours to see if they know who the car belongs to so they can move it.

In most areas local councils have now taken on responsibility for enforcing parking provisions under what is known as Civil Parking Enforcement (CPE). Under CPE it's an offence to park a vehicle so that it blocks a dropped kerb driveway"

(Sheffield has CPE)

A car broke down outside my Mums neighbours last week, it was blocking their drive but the driver knocked on the door to apologise and say it would be moved later that day.

Luckily their car wasn’t on the drive because 3 days later it was still there. They reported it online, received an email after a couple of days saying they wouldnt do anything about it because it was taxed, tested and hadn’t been there long enough.

It was eventually collected after about a week.

21 hours ago, henrypond said:

(Sheffield has CPE)

CPE means the car won't be towed either, just given a PCN. Councils can only tow a car away if it's endangering other road users. So someone could happily leave their car blocking your drive for a week and there is nothing you can do about it but complain and wait if the council ever stick the yellow envelope on the windscreen.

I still think it's a criminal offence to block a car in though.

I think parking over someone's driveway is not on, and blocking them in is really not on.

But to not allow someone to park on the road outside your house by putting up obstructions is almost as bad.

If I had a drive way and someone blocked me in for any ridiculous length of time I think I'd just push the car away from the drive way. may need a few big lads to help though!