Can you put traffic cones outside your house to stop people parking?

Has anyone tried paring on Glencoe Road recently?

Due to builders' vans working on Park Hill flats, it has become a nightmare.

Residents have taken to putting wheelie bins and traffic cones outside their houses to stop people parking ( I presume the builders) This means that anyone catching a train, visiting the local chemist or even friends, cannot park.

I understand the frustration of the residents, but this has a knock on effect.

What are the legalities to moving the cones/wheelie bins even planks, and just parking up?

There are no yellow lines.

Yes just move them

Frustrated residents who use cones or bins to reserve a parking space outside their homes may not realise they are breaking rules of the road. Council officials take a dim view of people who cone-off space outside their homes to prevent commuters from clogging up the neighbourhood.

Edited by speleo1
added info

32 minutes ago, mancmart said:

Residents have taken to putting wheelie bins and traffic cones outside their houses to stop people parking ( I presume the builders) This means that anyone catching a train, visiting the local chemist or even friends, cannot park.

What are the legalities to moving the cones/wheelie bins even planks, and just parking up?

Just move the object and legally park up 

1 hour ago, rudds1 said:

Just move the object and legally park up 

Then come back to your car and re-inflate your tires.

12 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Then come back to your car and re-inflate your tires.

Either you've had this done to you, in which case hard luck, or you would and maybe HAVE already done this to someone.  I hope not.  There is no legal right to park outside one's house unless a space is specially agreed on the deeds or by licence from the local highways authority.  The man who does this on Norfolk Road near Fitzwalter Road has no right to put cones outside his house and one day soon he may get the message!  

2 hours ago, mancmart said:

"There are no yellow lines".   You wait. There will be soon!  many of the free parking areas on the edge of the city centre are about to be reviewed. But on that same theme why on earth is parking not allowed on South St in front of Parkhill Flats ?   Last Saturday , apart from a couple of people taking a chance, there was space for about thirty to  forty cars but parking is prohibited from Mon to Saturday. Nobody actually lives on South St !!

Hi DavidFrance,

Its never happened to me, and I wouldn’t dream of doing it to someone else.

Some people are quite unsavoury though, and despite the legalities, if they feel entitled to the spot so much so that they’ve coned it off, and you remove their cones and park in ‘their’ (in their heads, it’s their) space, it’s possible some unpleasantness may happen.

This reminds me of people who place large stones/rocks on 'their' grass verges outside their houses. I know it's annoying to have verges churned up but it's not their right either to stop people parking on verges. 

I have people parking on the road but across my garage drive so I cannot get my car in and out. I have two traffic cones inside my garage that I have never used. Can I put these on the road in front of my drive to stop people parking there ?

Edited by pattricia

52 minutes ago, pattricia said:

I have people parking on the road but across my garage drive so I cannot get my car in and out. I have two traffic cones inside my garage that I have never used. Can I put these on the road in front of my drive to stop people parking there ?

No you can't. 

8 hours ago, lindylou53 said:

This reminds me of people who place large stones/rocks on 'their' grass verges outside their houses. I know it's annoying to have verges churned up but it's not their right either to stop people parking on verges. 

its supposed to be illegal to park on grass verges

They are digging up the pavement in my local area to install cable, the workmen are putting no parking cones on the opossite side. Some are just ignoring them, buses getting past, but slower.