Peter Riggs & Sons

Does anyone know why this small butchers at Ecclesfield closed, used to do some great bacon/sausages and the adjacent takeaway van did a lovely hot sandwich.

I heard it was not making money, he may do better selling with the rest of the site is for sale, I understand he couldnot sell from the van if he was not selling meat so.

I went to school with Simon Riggs who's father owned the butcher's shop. I don't know if he went into the trade so the father, who would be in his eighties at least, may have retired or passed on.

6 hours ago, charliewag said:

I went to school with Simon Riggs who's father owned the butcher's shop. I don't know if he went into the trade so the father, who would be in his eighties at least, may have retired or passed on.

There was a Riggs' Butchers on corner of Abbeydale Road & Glen Road in Nether Edge.  Closed down around the early 1970's.

Wonder if they're related?  If they are I'd say the old guy & his wife at Abbeydale, would be at least the grandparents of Peter Riggs? 

I used to work up the hill at smithy Wood, we used to get sausage and bacon butties delivered from him on Friday morning. Shame he couldn't keep it up, his sausages were excellent