What Do Actors Do For Money When Out Of Work ?

I have often wondered what actors, musicians and pop stars do for money when out of work. There are long gaps between jobs, sometimes years. Do they claim benefits. What do they live on ?

9 minutes ago, pattricia said:

I have often wondered what actors, musicians and pop stars do for money when out of work. There are long gaps between jobs, sometimes years. Do they claim benefits. What do they live on ?

They go on an endless round of reality tv & game shows these days.  A lot easier than having to keep going to auditions & actually learn lines. 

Zipping through the channels the other days & spotted 'actor', Dean Gaffney.  He's about to take part in a celeb reality dating programme. 

I often think that when such as Gaffney have to fill out a form, do they still have the cheek to state 'Actor' as their occupation? 

Actually there is a former actor I remember reading about.  Sean Wilson, (Coronation Street's, Martin Platt), now a cheese maker:

https://saddleworthcheese.co.uk/sean-wilson.html

Edited by Baron99

18 minutes ago, pattricia said:

They either claim benefits or get a job. You had the case of a former eastenders actress who was shamed* by the media for getting a job as a security guard in B and M. There was an american actor who was bagging groceries because he didn't have any work that made the news as well.

*There is absolutely no shame at all doing a security guard to put food on the table. I'd feel no shame in doing that and much more admitting to being a tabloid journalist.

28 minutes ago, pattricia said:

Depending on their talents they could simply slip into a teaching role or work in production or a studio.

29 minutes ago, geared said:

Depending on their talents they could simply slip into a teaching role or work in production or a studio.

Some do the working mens clubs.

1 hour ago, pattricia said:

Well established actors may have savings they can live off and they'll also probably get residuals (think repeat fees and the like).

Less established ones take on temporary 'normal' work. (Or at least jobs with a high turnover of staff.)

In the past they used to spend time between jobs on benefits but with the general clamping down on that, requirements to be actively looking for work, not being too fussed about what you take, etc., there's less scope for that these days.

30 minutes ago, altus said:

Well established actors may have savings they can live off and they'll also probably get residuals (think repeat fees and the like).

Less established ones take on temporary 'normal' work. (Or at least jobs with a high turnover of staff.)

In the past they used to spend time between jobs on benefits but with the general clamping down on that, requirements to be actively looking for work, not being too fussed about what you take, etc., there's less scope for that these days.

Thank you, that’s a good explanation. 

Well my daughter has been adamant from about the age of 7 that she sees Robert Barone (Ray's brother from Everybody loves Raymond) driving a van  near Crystal Peaks quite often so maybe out of work American actors fly all the way over to Sheffield just to work as parcel delivery drivers (according to my little'un anyway) 😂😂

46 minutes ago, Hair island said:

Well my daughter has been adamant from about the age of 7 that she sees Robert Barone (Ray's brother from Everybody loves Raymond) driving a van  near Crystal Peaks quite often so maybe out of work American actors fly all the way over to Sheffield just to work as parcel delivery drivers (according to my little'un anyway) 😂😂

Tell her I loved her Prince Charming album.

13 hours ago, Hair island said:

That’s an interesting point. Has anyone ever seen an ordinary person who looked like a film star, tv star, musician or singer ? 

5 hours ago, pattricia said:

That’s an interesting point. Has anyone ever seen an ordinary person who looked like a film star, tv star, musician or singer ? 

I look like someone called George no not boy George no not George Clooney, yes  George Formby   :gag:  :hihi:

It's George Harrison's birthday today, or would have been, I've never seen anyone who looked like him

They could get jobs as lookalikes of their celebrity selves 

Edited by cressida