Does Anyone Use Audio Cassettes Any More?

The last time I listened to anything on tape I also had a big separates system with an enormous pair of bass bins in the cellar to make the floor shake.  I'm not sure whether the technology has moved on, or I've just got old instead.

In these days when my entire music collection fits on a tiny chip, it's been years since I've even handled a CD, let alone wound a tape.  Any thoughts of nostalgia are lost as soon as I remember tapes getting chewed up by the tape deck in the car and the billowing clouds of loose tape at random intervals (often when trying to change tapes on a motorway, I seem to remember!).

That's because the take-up reel stopped turning due to belt/idler drive issues. Car tape player maintenance tended to get neglected for obvious reasons until something failed like a belt, also they really needed occasional head/capstan cleaning, best done by removing player from the car.

4 hours ago, carosio said:

That's because the take-up reel stopped turning due to belt/idler drive issues. Car tape player maintenance tended to get neglected for obvious reasons until something failed like a belt, also they really needed occasional head/capstan cleaning, best done by removing player from the car.

I have always driven company or leased cars, where the option to do things like that is absent.  Annual services and actual breakdowns only I'm afraid.

On 03/03/2020 at 13:44, medusa said:

I have always driven company or leased cars, where the option to do things like that is absent.  Annual services and actual breakdowns only I'm afraid.

Yes, the forgotton and neglected bit of the car! Not necessary though now.