Does Anyone Use Audio Cassettes Any More?

Ah, those were the days. A Marantz reel to reel and a Sansui tape deck (if I remember right)  all wired up to a seperates stereo big enough to fill a 1 bed flat!

I would always buy TDK (SA?) as they were the best value to sound. I would imagine there will still be of use to someone,

I like the music centre speleo, We went from a radiogram (big wooden thing), Music centre (like yours but Hitachi) and then on to huge seperates system with some big Mission speakers. Now my music is on something that fits in your pocket and a pair of bluetooth earbuds! And you're right DeZeus, the car has a memory chip or a USB port. CD players in cars are one thing I don't miss, either I had rubbish ones or they all skipped if you hit a bump in the road...not a good thing on some of Sheffields roads.

I seem to recall my go to Brand for Casettes was either BASF or Memorex.....

But I seem to still have a quantity or wide collection of Cheap Chinese / Taiwanese Generic ones.

23 hours ago, zach said:

Ah, those were the days. A Marantz reel to reel and a Sansui tape deck (if I remember right)  all wired up to a seperates stereo big enough to fill a 1 bed flat!

Marantz reel to reel? Only one ever made I believe, a prototype!

47 minutes ago, carosio said:

Marantz reel to reel? Only one ever made I believe, a prototype!

And that's why I put "If I remember right" in brackets. It was a long time ago, I don't why but the name Akai, or something like that keeps popping up...maybe it was that make.

Either way, it doesn't really matter does it? I was just thinking back decades ago about equipment that's long gone.

47 minutes ago, zach said:

And that's why I put "If I remember right" in brackets. It was a long time ago, I don't why but the name Akai, or something like that keeps popping up...maybe it was that make.

Either way, it doesn't really matter does it? I was just thinking back decades ago about equipment that's long gone.

No worries, thought so, it's just that I was surprised that I might have missed a recorder that was unknown to me! Certain reel to reels are selling for high prices these days.

My Uncle had a Cossor reel to reel....never seen one  since!

Wonders why?

The big drawback with tape of course is that to find anything specific you may have to trawl a long way through the tape to find it.  And the tape runs in contact with the heads so how long does a tape play before it wears out? 

As the Tape is A Magnetic Medium, any LARGE MAGNET, like from A Speaker could destroy them!

But I have has CD's WARP, been left on Window Cill, or Car Dash

In truth, I have never had any good quality tapes Fail, seemed Bulletproof, however the ones in cheap plastic / clear cases which are clear yellow or orange // neon colours, either stretch or lock up or break the tapes.

With regard to location, of a song - use a sharpie, or note the number tracker locator.

I had less success with Car 8 Track tapes than cassettes, but I still have my vinyl, CDs DvD Blueray, Cassettes.