Plans To Build 11000+Homes In High Risk Flood Areas

Just reading there are plans to build over 11000 homes on high risk flood areas, including nearly 4000 in Doncaster.  Surely the Government can bring in some sort of legislation to stop them building where there is high risk of flooding. Who is going to risk buying a property where there is a high risk of it being flooded, insurance if available be very expensive or have extremely high excesses in the policy.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/more-than-11000-homes-to-be-built-on-land-at-high-risk-of-flooding/ar-BB10hMg1?ocid=spartanntp

Well if people are daft enough to buy them so be it   / same as timber framed houses public are buying them so they will continue to  build 

Edited by spider1

19 hours ago, iansheff said:

Who is going to risk buying a property where there is a high risk of it being flooded, insurance if available be very expensive or have extremely high excesses in the policy.

I often wonder with the state of new builds and the countless horror stories about them why people buy new anyway.  But some people are like that. 

Plus they probably like the idea of living at the edge of the countryside, and I'm guessing its easier for housebuilders to build on fields rather than clearing brownfield sites.

It always makes me laugh when someone with a 5 year old house starts acting all NIMBY when the fields they overlook are about to be built on.

I mean, ignore the mud, who on earth would want this strip of land with all those wooden fences as a "garden"?

25089186-8034959-image-a-84_158247180937

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8034959/Couple-slam-Persimmon-183-000-new-build-home-ruined-diabolical-flooded-garden.html

Yet, when the TV show flooded households, 8 times out of 10 it's older properties. Youd think that showing flooded new build estates would be easy pickings but you don't really see it.

Now it could just be me but after the initial gloating over purchasing a beach front home or a riverside property or a canal side property which usually command higher prices realisation should kick in about what could truly happen when it rains.

Flood plains are a different concern imho -they may not impact the current properties(although those at Brinsworth suffer every year) - because they could upgrade drainage etc, it does however create a bottleneck which then backs up upstream.

The flood plains in Killamarsh were going to be the HS2 route,so that would have been fun.

If development is going to be allowed on flood plains, then surely their should be legislation to require homes to be similar to those that are built in Holland, that rise & fall on columns when the land floods. 

http://www.floatinghomes.ltd.uk/netherlands.html

Edited by Baron99

23 hours ago, iansheff said:

Just reading there are plans to build over 11000 homes on high risk flood areas, including nearly 4000 in Doncaster.

I seem to recall that someone has started a thread on this  a short while ago.

Was it Anna?:huh:

Edited by Janus

Building on flood plains or near to rivers should be outlawed. If flooding occurs then individuals should be held accountable for their decisions including councillors and planners.

How many thousands of gardens have been concreted over in the last 20 years with trees cut down that have led to an increase in drain water?

This is near me. Even though the fields flood without fail every single year, they still decided to build on them and people in the new builds complain about the damp and mould.

And the water that sat on the fields is now going into these drainage channels, which have never been this high before.

IMG_20200224_130031-696x522.jpg

1 minute ago, alchresearch said:

This is near me. Even though the fields flood without fail every single year, they still decided to build on them and people in the new builds complain about the damp and mould.

And the water that sat on the fields is now going into these drainage channels, which have never been this high before.

IMG_20200224_130031-696x522.jpg

Is this "live" or an old pic?

7 hours ago, alchresearch said:

I

I mean, ignore the mud, who on earth would want this strip of land with all those wooden fences as a "garden"?

25089186-8034959-image-a-84_158247180937

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8034959/Couple-slam-Persimmon-183-000-new-build-home-ruined-diabolical-flooded-garden.html

I wasn't going to post, as not really on topic, but seen it twice now, and this picture (nothing to do with the water) is my garden nightmare. It's looks like something prisoners walk in for an hour a day.

Edited by *_ash_*

Not a single new house needs to be built whilst hundreds of thousands are available but empty.