Fridge Freezer Advice

Hi, I  have a Hotpoint fufl 1810 Fridge freezer which keeps failing,  It will work OK then we notice the fridge is not as cold as it should be, it can be like that a couple of days or so then starts working again, so I think it is due to build up of ice,   I would be grateful for any advice, as it is only 6yr old and still in great condition. Thanks

Edited by mac09
Phone number added

Well first of all I would defrost it make sure any electrical connections you can see are clean and looking ok and give it another try,could also be a faulty thermostat.

Thanks, I removed the evaporator cover a couple of weeks ago and cleared a build up of ice and everything looked fine and it worked great for a few days after, but did the same again, it has just started working again after playing up for a couple of days  🤔

Could be a gas leak? if that's the case as with our freezer only 25months old ,it'll be cheaper to buy a new one which we did .It's so annoying cos we had our other one for over 10 years,only problem was cracked drawers which were overly expensive to replace !!

1 hour ago, Chaddamp said:

Could be a gas leak? if that's the case as with our freezer only 25months old ,it'll be cheaper to buy a new one which we did .It's so annoying cos we had our other one for over 10 years,only problem was cracked drawers which were overly expensive to replace !!

Thanks, it is not a gas leak though because it keeps going back to normal for a few days, I am thinking it is the heating element at fault which should prevent ice build up 

34 minutes ago, carosio said:

These people seem OK but want you to make a payment before you get any advice ? 

Edited by mac09
Spelling

Ah... I've used Apollo on Callywhite Lane in Dronfield for years,ring them and see what they say? 01246 416642,you'll find them really helpful in the old fashioned caring way.

Fridges or fridge freezers.. do no last forever. Sadly.

Once they are gone they are gone.

You can't re-gas a refrigerator but you can Re-gas your cars Air Conditioning.

Similar thing...

Work that one out anyone?

44 minutes ago, Chaddamp said:

Ah... I've used Apollo on Callywhite Lane in Dronfield for years,ring them and see what they say? 01246 416642,you'll find them really helpful in the old fashioned caring way.

Thanks Chaddamp  👍

Its worth having one of these plug in energy meters and keep checking the energy usage of fridges and freezers, as the compressor gets worn the energy usage can go up quite a lot, enough to justify the cost of a new one.

It would tell you when the heater element is on or compressor is running by the current being drawn.

Those with small evaporator and fan are killed by iceing up, i have known them when door left open ice so severely up and then heater although working not being able to defrost, had to leave to defrost for 24hours or like you manually defrost. but once defrosted ok until some nit left door open again.

I had one (in damp cellar) where the defrost timer died, it was a geared motor type job (possibly electronic now) i temporary fitted a switch to manually defrost and ran the energy meter and found it was running 10 times as much energy as newer one upstairs so wasn't worth fixing, picked up a second hand freezer whose lower energy consumption paid for itself in one year.

4 hours ago, mac09 said:

These people seem OK but want you to make a payment before you get any advice ? 

Sorry I missed your post #3 which confirmed you had already cleared the ice behind the cover, as advised in the link.

Frost-free units are notoriously difficult to diagnose; some of the components are sealed in the back insulation, also there is usually an electronics component board at the top of the unit. I had similar problems with a Candy F/F and one of the suggestions was to unplug for 24 hrs (very inconvenient) then re-start. This worked for a few weeks, then back to square one, so I scrapped it and swore never to buy a F/free again.

I recently had 3 different engineers out to my Miele freezer.  It wasn't getting cold enough to thoroughly freeze the food, particularly in the lower part of the freezer.

First diagnosis - fan.  The fan wasn't working properly so it wasn't distributing the cold air.  Second diagnosis - water getting into the sensor.  Not thought to be the main cause but worth changing as it could contribute.  Third diagnosis - compressor.

It was in fact the compressor.

To replace the compressor would have cost as much as a new freezer.   And I was advised it was a "risky" operation as the whole thing would need to be re-gassed and the chances of it being successful were 50/50.

So I bought a new one.  

Only problem is it was one of a matching pair of freezer and fridge.  So I had to buy a new fridge as well.  Even though the old one works fine!  

I had 15 years trouble free from the freezer and the fridge is still going strong.  I shopped around before taking the plunge on a new one, and most of the folks I spoke to said that Miele was the only brand that I'd get more than 3 or 5 years out of.  

So, at twice the price of other brands, I bought Miele again.  

Looking forward to another 15 years trouble free service!