The Meaning Of The Name 'Brinsley'

Hi, 

We're wanting to find the meaning of a middle name for tatoo purposes but can't seem to find much about the actual meaning but can find bits on it's origins and popularity. 

Years ago the name 'Brinsley' was found on loads of sites giving the meanings of names but now, it's so difficult. 

Does anyone have an interest in this topic and if so, can you help us please? 

Many thanks

Hi,         In my book,  The Oxford Names Companion,       Brinsley  is a place in Nottinghamshire,   originally  BRUNESLEIA.

It means   "Woodland clearing of a man called Brun."          Old English personal name of Brun,   plus "leia"   meaning clearing.

The nearest one to it in the first names & surnames section is Brinkley,     personal name of Brynca,  plus leia.

Any lookups anybody ?

Oh thanks for your reply lovelace. 

I'm trying to jog my memory and think it was something that grew in a meadow. I could be wrong and be thinking of his first name or his sisters even. 

But thanks for looking it up x

Did you ever see them live, were they good? 

20 hours ago, TIFF30 said:

Did you ever see them live, were they good? 

As I remember they were excellent. Nick Lowe was a founder member and is still doing the rounds.