Sign in to follow this  

Moving Bb Providers But Want To Keep Your Email Address, It Could Cost You

So it should. Email services have to be paid for somehow, so why should I still be able to access a service provided by my previous broadband supplier without paying for it?

10 minutes ago, the_bloke said:

So it should. Email services have to be paid for somehow, so why should I still be able to access a service provided by my previous broadband supplier without paying for it?

Charging £7.50 a month for it like BT do is just taking the ****. You could get your own domain name and use your DNS registrar for email for less than that.

Sky don't charge - they probably realise the benefits of letting someone keep using a sky.com email address, free advertising and the residual goodwill that makes it them more likely to return in the future, outweighs the marginal cost of providing them with a service.

I can't help thinking BT and TalkTalk really use this charge as a way of trying to keep people from switching.

I'd advise people to use an email provider that is independent of their ISP so they can switch without affecting it.

53 minutes ago, altus said:

Charging £7.50 a month for it like BT do is just taking the ****. You could get your own domain name and use your DNS registrar for email for less than that.

Sky don't charge - they probably realise the benefits of letting someone keep using a sky.com email address, free advertising and the residual goodwill that makes it them more likely to return in the future, outweighs the marginal cost of providing them with a service.

I can't help thinking BT and TalkTalk really use this charge as a way of trying to keep people from switching.

I'd advise people to use an email provider that is independent of their ISP so they can switch without affecting it.

I have had a Yahoo email address for over 20 years and always used it as a secondary address until EE decided they were no longer going to provide Email and you had to use another provider, so now Yahoo is my primary Email address. 

4 hours ago, the_bloke said:

Strange as I don't pay for either my Gmail or Yahoo mail accounts!

My advice to all is to ditch their BB providers account and set up one of the above as that way you can always use the same one with any provider for free.

11 minutes ago, apelike said:

Strange as I don't pay for either my Gmail or Yahoo mail accounts!

My advice to all is to ditch their BB providers account and set up one of the above as that way you can always use the same one with any provider for free.

Considering both services either pump adverts at you or sell your data, you are definitely paying for it.

2 hours ago, the_bloke said:

Considering both services either pump adverts at you or sell your data, you are definitely paying for it.

The same could be said for the OS, Web browser, mobile phone, apps on everything  etc. ALL we can do these days is minimise the data we give out and do our best to keep a lower profile online. It reminds me of when I was an IT manager and explaining to one of the more paranoid staff about how much information about them was on our system, part of the system was linked to CAPITA. I often wonder just how much was released via these 3rd parties, not that they'd ever admit it.

As for the OPs question, the only thing I can say is not to have any BB providers email as your main one. Chances are there will come a time to move on. It's just another headache for you. I know the freebies aren't perfect and do data hunt. I still opt for Gmail from the free ones but I also have much more private ones (they cost money)

8 hours ago, the_bloke said:

No payment changes hands so no, you don't pay for it. 

11 hours ago, apelike said:

No payment changes hands so no, you don't pay for it. 

I think he is claiming that you are paying for it with your privacy.

Though I think seeing a few unobtrusive adverts that are easily dismissed is a small price to pay for an efficient, easy to use and totally FREE email service.

I don't think I've ever used an email address the ISP has provided.  In the age of switching suppliers why would you?

20 hours ago, alchresearch said:

I don't think I've ever used an email address the ISP has provided.  In the age of switching suppliers why would you?

Exactly this. Especially when you have the likes of Gmail etc. 

I pay £7 a YEAR for my email services but that's because I own my personal domain name and have the ability to create upto 10 users, which is handy for registering for trial accounts with the likes of Amazon etc.