Spam E-Mails

16 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Admittedly the bit at the bottom is cheeky, but the main thrust of the article, and the advice given is 100% correct

Me bold... That I very much doubt as I have unsubscribed many times using "unsubscribe" and neve had more spam. As the article states "it's a trap. or it might be  a trap." It looks like the whole article was a in fact an advertising trap!

4 minutes ago, apelike said:

Me bold... That I very much doubt as I have unsubscribed many times using "unsubscribe" and neve had more spam. As the article states "it's a trap. or it might be  a trap." It looks like the whole article was a in fact an advertising trap!

OK - that's your experience, but mine over the close to 30 years I've had a PC/laptop, and therefore email access, is that 'unsubscribing' from spam mail generates more, which is why I have a two-stage email receive strategy (1) All mail is filtered through 'Mailwasher', which highlights any mail which may be spam and (2) Any spam is moved to the 'spam' folder before I download genuine mail.

My spam count is very low, as 99.9% of it comes through my old Tinyworld/Tiscali accounts - soon to be retired - and because I can have unlimited mailboxes with my current provider, it is easy to 'blackhole' and replace any that seem to attract spam.

25 minutes ago, apelike said:

Never received more spam at all or more from whoever sent that email? A known valid and active email address is a valuable thing to spammers. There is a market for lists of them.

As the article said, if you know you gave your email address to someone and they send you an email with an unsubscribe link, it's reasonable to click it. If you don't know why the sender might have your email address it's probably a trap, don't click on it.

11 minutes ago, altus said:

Never received more spam at all or more from whoever sent that email? A known valid and active email address is a valuable thing to spammers. There is a market for lists of them.

As the article said, if you know you gave your email address to someone and they send you an email with an unsubscribe link, it's reasonable to click it. If you don't know why the sender might have your email address it's probably a trap, don't click on it.

Thanks for backing me up, @altus - I was hoping there was someone else on here who understood how the spam industry worked.

I was always advised within the Communication Industry:

Dont click any links from people you don't know or trust or have not checked the emails source

Dont open any JPegs etc...Pretty Pictures of Cute Animals......

Never Forward Stuff on......like Adult links.....

Makes me sound really boring, but I always remember a friend who brought me a Floppy - which he said would show how much Rubbish! (Spam/Malware) on my system, he was shocked when it return a Score of 0, he said his system had 700....lol

But maybe he was one who visited certain dubious Sites.....

11 minutes ago, DeZeus said:

I was always advised within the Communication Industry:

Dont click any links from people you don't know or trust or have not checked the emails source

Dont open any JPegs etc...Pretty Pictures of Cute Animals......

Never Forward Stuff on......like Adult links.....

Makes me sound really boring, but I always remember a friend who brought me a Floppy - which he said would show how much Rubbish! (Spam/Malware) on my system, he was shocked when it return a Score of 0, he said his system had 700....lol

But maybe he was one who visited certain dubious Sites.....

Exactly, DeZeus - standard good practice, and advice which still applies now - but I bet there are a load of Twitter/Facebook users that don't follow it.