Igloo Won't Pay For Your Meat Expenses

8 hours ago, rachelmum said:

Load of claptrap. In the real world businesses exist to make profit. Then at there good will they use there position to help support /sponsor worthy causes. The government has responsibility for protecting the environment. 

That’s pretty outdated thinking.

Soon,  any company following a philosophy like yours will disappear up their own, badly maintained, exhaust pipe .

Guest makapaka
9 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

This is a strawman argument - I've never said that over-population isn't an issue.

That doesn't mean you ignore every other human activity that has an environmental impact as a consequence.

2 hours ago, Pettytom said:

Soon,  any company following a philosophy like yours will disappear up their own, badly maintained, exhaust pipe .

Is it not true that this estate agent is in business to achieve the best price for their clients which in turn achieves the best comission (profit) for themselves?

"The sale took less than two weeks and we were delighted to receive a greater value than the home report. This was down to the way Igloo marketed the property. Craig, Carrie and Lelsey were in constant contact with arranging viewings and viewers feedback."  

"Our directors and team are very focused on the results we achieve for our customers – whether that’s length of time on the market, best price achieved, customer satisfaction surveys or property performance."

Edited by carosio

13 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

You realise that more than one thing can be bad for the planet at once right? Or do you not believe that the current levels of UK meat consumption are unsustainable and are harming the planet? 

On 02/03/2020 at 07:51, Pettytom said:

Businesses making profit is outdated thinking yeah right. If it's not profitable for the owners it's not sustainable and then they hit a bump in the road like brexit or coronavirus and then staff are being made redundant and out of a job. Business doesn't exist primarily to make an eco statement and to save the planet. They are there to be profitable employ staff and if they are lucky enough to do so they lend support to local charities and do some good within the local community.  That part is a privilege. 

On 01/03/2020 at 00:15, Pettytom said:

Absolutely not.

We’ve had companies in thrall to the profit motive for the last 70 years. That hasn’t worked out so well.

We need more companies like Igloo. More social responsibility. More nuance. 

Simply pursuing profit is for previous generations. The current generation have damage to repair.

We'll I hope Pettytom you prosper on your principals . I don't see the value in Igloos stance personally each to their own. It's a tough climate for businesses and with minimum/ living wage being hiked up by the government each year/pension costs/ ssp costs that businesses have to pay in full an employer is packing many punches to survive, never mind trying to make a decent profit. Lots of businesses are hanging on by the skin of their teeth in a tough market. Principals don't pay the wages and tax bill. Profitability does.

Edited by rachelmum
Spelling error

1 hour ago, rachelmum said:

We'll I hope Pettytom you prosper on your principals . I don't see the value in Igloos stance personally each to their own. It's a tough climate for businesses and with minimum/ living wage being hiked up by the government each year/pension costs/ ssp costs that businesses have to pay in full an employer is packing many punches to survive, never mind trying to make a decent profit. Lots of businesses are hanging on by the skin of their teeth in a tough market. Principals don't pay the wages and tax bill. Profitability does.

I wish you well in paying your staff fairly.

Please don’t expect the benefit system to bail you , or your company out.  So let’s not hear moaning about paying people a decent package.

What really pays the bills is forward planning and sustainability.  That’s the future 

Guest makapaka
11 hours ago, rachelmum said:

I hope he prospers in his principles too.

so should you if you want your kids and grandkids to have any kind of life unless you want to sacrifice it to champion “profit”.

Edited by makapaka

11 hours ago, rachelmum said:

Fortunately for Igloo, a lot of people are searching out green and ethical business to give their custom to. 

3 hours ago, West 77 said:

You're not living in the real World.  Profit pays the bills. There is no future for any business that doesn't make a profit.  Greggs is a good example of a business that has forward planning. Their Vegan sausage roll has been a big success but Greggs have no plans to become a Vegan only business. 

Profit doesn't pay the bills, it's what is left after the bills -including wages and employer contributions- have been paid.

But profit does pay (corporate) tax.

12 hours ago, Pettytom said:

I wish you well in paying your staff fairly.

Please don’t expect the benefit system to bail you , or your company out.  So let’s not hear moaning about paying people a decent package.

What really pays the bills is forward planning and sustainability.  That’s the future 

What really pays the bills is enough paying customers buying enough product/service over time.

Forward planning and sustainability (in a business context) is for maintaining enough paying customers buying enough product/service in the future.

Forward planning and sustainability (in an environmental context) is the responsibility of the legislator first, and all those subjected to their legislation next. Everyone can certainly bring their own stone to that particular edifice, and the more and the sooner the better. But unless doing so confers a marketing advantage, it doesn't pay the bills, it just helps the environment (allegedly).

Edited by L00b

17 hours ago, West 77 said:

Of course profit pays the bills.  There is obviously a difference between gross profit and net profit. If a business doesn't make a gross profit then they are not going  to pay any corporate tax.

'Bills' are *costs* (direct ones, ie of goods sold, which *includes* labour costs; and indirect ones).

Gross profit is what's left after the COGS is subtracted from the *turnover*.

Net profit is what's left after *expenses* are subtracted from the gross profit. In the context of this thread, I'd expect sales employees' meal expenses to be such indirect costs/expenses.

So no, profit does not 'of course pay the bills' as you claimed, and reclaimed. It pays only *some* of them, the proportion of which, relative to the total direct+indirect costs, will vary greatly according to the business type and size.

Edited by L00b

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, L00b said:

'Bills' are *costs* (direct ones, ie of goods sold, which *includes* labour costs; and indirect ones).

Gross profit is what's left after the COGS is subtracted from the *turnover*.

Net profit is what's left after *expenses* are subtracted from the gross profit. In the context of this thread, I'd expect sales employees' meal expenses to be such indirect costs/expenses.

So no, profit does not 'of course pay the bills' as you claimed, and reclaimed. It pays only *some* of them, the proportion of which, relative to the total direct+indirect costs, will vary greatly according to the business type and size.

It’s a total red herring the argument put forward by @rachelmum and @West 77 anyway.

theres no reason for this initiative to impact on a company’s profitability and even if it did - that would be their decision to take for the greater good of the environment.