Igloo Won't Pay For Your Meat Expenses

19 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

Then I don’t understand your question. The whole point of Igloo’s stance is down to the impact on the planet..that’s why they’re doing it. 

I take their reasoning with a pinch of salt, maybe I'm just a cynic. The fact the person at Igloo who claims credit for the idea also claims to only eat meat once every ten days suggests a bit of an 'I'm alright Jack' in regards to her fellow coworkers and a way to push an ethical as well as an environmental agenda. We shall never know.

So okay, no tea or coffee because the company doesn't like the environmental impact on the planet. (There is plenty of data showing how damaging coffee is especially). Same reasons as Igloo. How would you feel about that?

On 28/02/2020 at 09:31, makapaka said:

You expect a business to reimburse for food and then provide an additional financial bonus based on the persons food choice.

why would a business want to do that.

would you expect additional payment  from work over and above your holiday pay if you didn’t fly overseas and stayed in England?

Why not if it actually means so very much to Igloo  and it isn't just to get people talking about it. Which we all have been so they seem to have won that one 🙄

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, rachelmum said:

Why not if it actually means so very much to Igloo  and it isn't just to get people talking about it. Which we all have been so they seem to have won that one 🙄

Maybe it should mean more to their employees.

I think that the job you are employed to do is the important bit and what you should be passionate about. All businesses (with the exception of charaties and none profit making organisations) are about making profit. I know that's true as I work in the accounts dept. Expenses/ pensions/ benefits are the bit that are there to make sure that you have happy, well looked after employees. If you're going to make a statement about your company make it  in your work stand out by being good at what you do get 5* ratings have happy repeat customers. Don't do it by making the focus on employee expenses and dividing public opinions. By doing this Igloo have made themselves the business equivalent of Marmite. In an industry with plentiful competition you don't want to make enemies so very quickly about your expenses policy. 

Edited by rachelmum
Combined two seperate replies

2 hours ago, carosio said:

Estate agents saving the planet??

Exactly let's concentrate on the job in hand providing outstanding service. Leave thd politics to the politicians 😉

26 minutes ago, rachelmum said:

Exactly let's concentrate on the job in hand providing outstanding service. Leave thd politics to the politicians 😉

Absolutely not.

We’ve had companies in thrall to the profit motive for the last 70 years. That hasn’t worked out so well.

We need more companies like Igloo. More social responsibility. More nuance. 

Simply pursuing profit is for previous generations. The current generation have damage to repair.

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, rachelmum said:

I think that the job you are employed to do is the important bit and what you should be passionate about. All businesses (with the exception of charaties and none profit making organisations) are about making profit. I know that's true as I work in the accounts dept. Expenses/ pensions/ benefits are the bit that are there to make sure that you have happy, well looked after employees. If you're going to make a statement about your company make it  in your work stand out by being good at what you do get 5* ratings have happy repeat customers. Don't do it by making the focus on employee expenses and dividing public opinions. By doing this Igloo have made themselves the business equivalent of Marmite. In an industry with plentiful competition you don't want to make enemies so very quickly about your expenses policy. 

You’re missing the point again.

this isn’t about making profit - it’s about an initiative to help giving you, your family and your future family somewhere to live.

22 hours ago, makapaka said:

You’re missing the point again.

this isn’t about making profit - it’s about an initiative to help giving you, your family and your future family somewhere to live.

It's about meat. If there was no meat then we'd eat vegetarian. There is meat so people have choice now today tomorrow. If we all stopped eating meat tomorrow we'd be putting an industry out of work. If we all cycled to work or drove electric car same result people out of work. We have choice and change doesn't happen overnight it's a gradual process of education and knowledge. I'll eat meat and drive my car to work tomorrow to work at a similar company to igloo in accounts. That's my choice. You can make your choice and I have no problem with it why have a problem with my choice? 

23 hours ago, Pettytom said:

Absolutely not.

We’ve had companies in thrall to the profit motive for the last 70 years. That hasn’t worked out so well.

We need more companies like Igloo. More social responsibility. More nuance. 

Simply pursuing profit is for previous generations. The current generation have damage to repair.

Load of claptrap. In the real world businesses exist to make profit. Then at there good will they use there position to help support /sponsor worthy causes. The government has responsibility for protecting the environment. 

Guest makapaka

This is why 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/environment/2018/may/31/avoiding-meat-and-dairy-is-single-biggest-way-to-reduce-your-impact-on-earth

i think this is the bit you’re not taking on.

1 minute ago, rachelmum said:

Load of claptrap. In the real world businesses exist to make profit. Then at there good will they use there position to help support /sponsor worthy causes. The government has responsibility for protecting the environment. 

But igloo is doing at their good will something to support a worthy clause but you are against it?

7 minutes ago, makapaka said:

I think this is the bit you are not taking on.....

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/dec/04/climate-change-population-crisis-paris-summit

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/10/david-attenborough-warns-planet-cant-cope-with-overpopulation/

https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/overpopulation-is-main-threat-to-planet-521925.html

Burgrers arn't killing the planet.   Babies are.