Igloo Won't Pay For Your Meat Expenses

Alcohol is not required to live, food is - hence one is expensible and the other isn't.

If I worked there, I'd eat whatever I wanted and just claim an extra hour of overtime to expense it if they weren't going to pay it (unless of course they're salaried, but there are ways and means round most systems)

31 minutes ago, whiteowl said:

Alcohol is not required to live, food is - hence one is expensible and the other isn't.

If I worked there, I'd eat whatever I wanted and just claim an extra hour of overtime to expense it if they weren't going to pay it (unless of course they're salaried, but there are ways and means round most systems)

Meat isn’t required to live either. They are still letting people claim for food. 

1 hour ago, Robin-H said:

Meat isn’t required to live either. They are still letting people claim for food. 

.......but only with the extreme exclusions of food products which are widely accepted and readilly available, instead choosing to limit such food choice to just items that THEY personally deem morally acceptable.     

You really think that's right for an employer to place such restrictions on their staff - even more so when they are working outside of normal hours and away from their home? 

3 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

.......but only with the extreme exclusions of food products which are widely accepted and readilly available, instead choosing to limit such food choice to just items that THEY personally deem morally acceptable.     

You really think that's right for an employer to place such restrictions on their staff - even more so when they are working outside of normal hours and away from their home? 

I think it's absolutely within their right yes. 

I don't think saying they won't pay for meat is an 'extreme exclusion' of food products. The company is trying to be more eco conscious, and have determined that incentivising the reduction in meat consumption is a relatively easy way of achieving this, considering the well established and understood negative impacts that meat production has on the environment.

They are not saying you can't eat meat. You can work there and gorge 24 hours a day on ribeye steak and nobody could stop you. All they are saying is that they won't pay for the privilege, and let's not forget that the western diet is a privilege. The earth could not sustain us if everyone ate a western diet. It can barely sustain us now. I think people complaining and crying discrimination about this one attempt to reduce their environmental impact need to look at the the bigger picture. 

Guest makapaka
6 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

I don't think saying they won't pay for meat is an 'extreme exclusion' of food products. The company is trying to be more eco conscious, and have determined that incentivising the reduction in meat consumption is a relatively easy way of achieving this, considering the well established and understood negative impacts that meat production has on the environment.

They are not saying you can't eat meat. You can work there and gorge 24 hours a day on ribeye steak and nobody could stop you. All they are saying is that they won't pay for the privilege, and let's not forget that the western diet is a privilege. The earth could not sustain us if everyone ate a western diet. It can barely sustain us now. I think people complaining and crying discrimination about this one attempt to reduce their environmental impact need to look at the the bigger picture. 

Amen brother/sister.

45 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

I think people need to eat alot less meat to sustain them than vegetables,  berries, fruit. Look back in history humans have always ate meat and always will. There is a thriving need for all aspects of food buying. In a world where there has never been so much diversity in race,  sexual orientation, where especially in citieslike Sheffield range of food choices from around the world. It just seems so narrow minded to dictate food choices 🙄

Edited by rachelmum
Spelling error

19 minutes ago, rachelmum said:

I think people need to eat alot less meat to sustain them than vegetables,  berries, fruit. Look back in history humans have always ate meat and always will. There is a thriving need for all aspects of food buying. In a world where there has never been so much diversity in race,  sexual orientation, where especially in citieslike Sheffield range of food choices from around the world. It just seems so narrow minded to dictate food choices 🙄

All they are saying is that they won't pay for your choice to eat meat. You can still eat as much meat as you want. 

Eating meat should be seen as a luxury if we have any hope of creating a more equal and sustainable planet (until lab grown meat can be produced cheaply and sustainably). By saying they won't pay for meat expenses Igloo are saying they view meat as a luxury, which I believe has to be the direction of travel. It's the same as a company saying they'll pay for your standard class rail ticket but if you want to travel first class you can pay for it yourself. 

If you have a suggestion how the entire planet could sustainably eat the amount of meat the UK eats per capita then I would be interested to hear it. 

45 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

All they are saying is that they won't pay for your choice to eat meat. You can still eat as much meat as you want. 

Eating meat should be seen as a luxury if we have any hope of creating a more equal and sustainable planet (until lab grown meat can be produced cheaply and sustainably). By saying they won't pay for meat expenses Igloo are saying they view meat as a luxury, which I believe has to be the direction of travel. It's the same as a company saying they'll pay for your standard class rail ticket but if you want to travel first class you can pay for it yourself. 

If you have a suggestion how the entire planet could sustainably eat the amount of meat the UK eats per capita then I would be interested to hear it. 

Not everyone chooses to eat meat and for those who do I don't see any shortage to buy and with the likes of Aldi at a very affordable price. Surely it's supply and demand. If there was no meat to buy or it was at a premium price I would have more meat free days. Currently meat is available, affordable  and I eat it most days by choice both while at work and away from work. It that changes in the future I could live without it. 

8 minutes ago, rachelmum said:

Not everyone chooses to eat meat and for those who do I don't see any shortage to buy and with the likes of Aldi at a very affordable price. Surely it's supply and demand. If there was no meat to buy or it was at a premium price I would have more meat free days. Currently meat is available, affordable  and I eat it most days by choice both while at work and away from work. It that changes in the future I could live without it. 

There isn't a shortage, but the impact on the planet is undeniable, which is the problem. It is also undeniable that the planet could not sustain the UK's meat consumption globally. 

I find the attitude that we have some god given right to eat as much meat as we want and heaven forbid our employer requests we pay for our choice to do so quite bizarre. Who cares that our desire for meat is damaging the planet, the results of which most negatively impacting the poorest people on the planet. Who cares that those people could only dream of having access to the goods and food we somehow think we have an unquestionable entitlement too... 

Guest makapaka
44 minutes ago, rachelmum said:

I think you’re missing the point - they’re not doing it just to save money or annoy meat eaters;

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/environment/2018/may/31/avoiding-meat-and-dairy-is-single-biggest-way-to-reduce-your-impact-on-earth

i eat meat - i don’t eat as much now because my partner is a vegetarian. I don’t have a problem with trying to reduce it and think initiatives to encourage reducing it should be applauded.

20 hours ago, enntee said:

What about reimbursing all food expenses as normal, but offering a financial bonus to those eating only vegetarian?

Putting their money where their mouth is!

That sounds a good  idea. Then they're not penalising meat eating staff just rewarding staff for making vegetarian  choices win win. 

Guest makapaka
11 hours ago, rachelmum said:

That sounds a good  idea. Then they're not penalising meat eating staff just rewarding staff for making vegetarian  choices win win. 

You expect a business to reimburse for food and then provide an additional financial bonus based on the persons food choice.

why would a business want to do that.

would you expect additional payment  from work over and above your holiday pay if you didn’t fly overseas and stayed in England?