Igloo Won't Pay For Your Meat Expenses

11 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

So you'd be OK telling the client that you're meeting for lunch that they can't order any alcohol because it has no nutritional value? 

I'd never have to: I've no problem whatsoever about expensing alcohol with lunch or dinner on this side of the Channel :P;)

1 minute ago, L00b said:

I'd never have to: I've no problem whatsoever about expensing alcohol with lunch or dinner on this side of the Channel :P;)

That's not really the point is it. 

Do you think the reason why businesses often don't allow for alcohol in expenses is because it doesn't have 'nutritional value'? 

14 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

That's not really the point is it. 

Do you think the reason why businesses often don't allow for alcohol in expenses is because it doesn't have 'nutritional value'? 

Well, what was your point with bringing up alcohol into our discussion?

We're talking about expensable meals, here, not the employee's personal lunch of preference (i.e. that which is not expensable).

You're the poster taking issue with my post defining vegetarianism as a belief system (or life choice or...<however you want to call it>) under which eating meat is bad and must not be done, and that refusing to expense employee meals with meat is forcing that belief system (or life choice or...) on them.

So it's up to you to show me how that definition is wrong and/or why refusing to expense employee meals with meat is not forcing vegetarianism on them.  

It's pointless asking me why businesses "often don't allow for alcohol in expenses": that might be a British reality and experience, but it isn't here on the Continent. So the reasons why British businesses frown upon expensing alcohol can be cultural as much, or less, or more, as nutritional or other...it could simply be that, what with the stereotypical relationship of the stereotypical Brit with 'booze', the employer can't trust them about sticking to moderation, so a ban is safer.

It's a bit hard to get drunk and disorderly, and potentially bring one's employer into disrepute, on a Barnsley chop ;)

1 minute ago, L00b said:

Well, what was your point with bringing up alcohol into our discussion?

We're talking about expensable meals, here, not the employee's personal lunch of preference (i.e. that which is not expensable).

You're the poster taking issue with my post defining vegetarianism as a belief system (or life choice or...<however you want to call it>) under which eating meat is bad and must not be done, and that refusing to expense employee meals with meat is forcing that belief system (or life choice or...) on them.

So it's up to you to show me how that definition is wrong and/or why refusing to expense employee meals with meat is not forcing vegetarianism on them.  

It's pointless asking me why businesses "often don't allow for alcohol in expenses": that might be a British reality and experience, but it isn't here on the Continent. So the reasons why British businesses frown upon expensing alcohol can be cultural as much, or less, or more, as nutritional or other...it could simply be that, what with the stereotypical relationship of the stereotypical Brit with 'booze', the employer can't trust them about sticking to moderation, so a ban is safer.

It's a bit hard to get drunk and disorderly, and potentially bring one's employer into disrepute, on a Barnsley chop ;)

I'm not taking issue with your post defining vegetarianism as a 'belief system' or life choice. 

I am taking issue with the claim that a company saying they aren't going to pay for your meat anymore, but that you are perfectly free to still eat what you want, is them imposing a belief system on you, just like them saying you can't drink alcohol on company expenses is not imposing a belief system on them. 

The company and employees voted. They voted for the change. What's the problem, no-one is forcing you to work for them. 

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, L00b said:

excluding meat from expensable dining is enforcing a vegetarian belief that meat should not be eaten

Saying it again doesn't make it true.

The person can eat what they like - the company they work for have just excluded it from their expenses policy.

It's a great way to promote positive change with little or no impact to the individual. If every employer did it the positive impacts would be huge.

Just now, makapaka said:

It's a great way to promote positive change with little or no impact to the individual. If every employer did it the positive impacts would be huge.

Exactly. My employer provides my lunches and does "Meat Free Monday".

At first I was OUTRAGED (not really) and thought "stuff that I'll get my own food".

But once I actually tried it I was very impressed at what was on offer and look forward to it.

12 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

Exactly. My employer provides my lunches and does "Meat Free Monday".

At first I was OUTRAGED (not really) and thought "stuff that I'll get my own food".

But once I actually tried it I was very impressed at what was on offer and look forward to it.

Indeed. I often eat at catered events where it is very common now for the food to be on offer to be entirely vegetarian or vegan. Not only is it better environmentally, it's probably cheaper and easier for the caterer too. Not only that, but it's generally delicious. 

I don't complain that they are 'imposing their belief system on me'. 

1 hour ago, Robin-H said:

I'm not taking issue with your post defining vegetarianism as a 'belief system' or life choice. 

I am taking issue with the claim that a company saying they aren't going to pay for your meat anymore, but that you are perfectly free to still eat what you want, is them imposing a belief system on you, just like them saying you can't drink alcohol on company expenses is not imposing a belief system on them. 

The company and employees voted. They voted for the change. What's the problem, no-one is forcing you to work for them. 

1st bit in bold is your false equivalence, not mine: I haven't equated the proscription of alcohol amongst expensable dining with the imposition of a belief system, you did.

2nd bit in bold: perhaps you want to look at my first post in this thread (the one you quoted and started all this guff about) and read again what I wrote. Then you can tell me what your problem is.

I've never worked for an employer that doesn't allow alcohol to be claimed on expenses. I think that says a lot about the culture of a company that they have to go to such measures; do they employ alcoholics or just people who can't be trusted to behave in a social environment on the company tab?

I thought there was a recent court case where veganism was classed as a protected characteristic which means it comes under the discrimination laws; which means you have a grey area that if discriminating against a vegan is wrong, then likewise so should be discriminating against a non vegan.

Guest makapaka
4 hours ago, West 77 said:

Eating meat has positive benefits also.   It's discrimination towards meat eaters. 

It also has negatives - physically and environmentally.

there is no discrimination - it’s an expense policy that’s all - no one is being prevented from eating meat.

Guest makapaka
2 minutes ago, West 77 said:

eat at Igloo's expense

This is the bit why it’s not discriminatory mate.

its their own policy which they’re entitled to invoke.

Guest makapaka
16 minutes ago, West 77 said:

I agree it's Igloo's own policy. You obviously don't understand the definition of discrimination if you can't acknowledge meat eaters who work for Igloo are being discriminated against.

I would say the opposite - and that if you think discrimination is an employer making people eat vegetarian foods when they are using the employers money to fund it - you don’t understand the definition.

theyre not refusing anybody the right to eat on their expense - only that it’s in line with their policy.

its like accusing a vegetarian restaurant of being discriminatory. It’s just not.

Edited by makapaka