Igloo Won't Pay For Your Meat Expenses

Interesting one this which I imagine will have a strong divide. For me to it doesn't really fall in to the category of not being allowed to eat meat on expenses it more falls in to the category of being told what I can and can't have. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51529207

Seems more like a free publicity stunt to be honest and allegedly all staff agreed to this, of which it isn't exactly a big company.  Personally, if I reeeeally wanted meat for lunch, I'd obey the rule, buy my own then buy a suitable vegetarian option on expenses and give it to someone who needs it, the homeless etc.. 

Firms do dictate other stuff like travel, and sometimes alcohol too, to it's not without precedent.

Head of the firm’s values team?

Doesn’t sound like a dictatorship much.

Guest makapaka

Great idea.

11 hours ago, Tomm06 said:

Interesting one this which I imagine will have a strong divide. For me to it doesn't really fall in to the category of not being allowed to eat meat on expenses it more falls in to the category of being told what I can and can't have. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51529207

Seems more like a free publicity stunt to be honest and allegedly all staff agreed to this, of which it isn't exactly a big company.  Personally, if I reeeeally wanted meat for lunch, I'd obey the rule, buy my own then buy a suitable vegetarian option on expenses and give it to someone who needs it, the homeless etc.. 

Thin end of the wedge.

I wonder how much more of a furore would be caused by a similar discrimination between hallal and non-hallal meat.

Personally, I wouldn't want to work -nor give my business- to a company which forces a belief system onto its employees, like Igloo does.

43 minutes ago, L00b said:

I wonder how much more of a furore would be caused by a similar discrimination between hallal and non-hallal meat.

Personally, I wouldn't want to work -nor give my business- to a company which forces a belief system onto its employees, like Igloo does.

I wouldn't say they are forcing a belief system onto their employees. 

All they are doing as saying they won't pay expenses for meals that include meat. They're not saying you can't eat meat. 

Edited by Robin-H

47 minutes ago, L00b said:

Me neither.

34 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

I wouldn't say they are forcing a belief system onto their employees. 

All they are doing as saying they won't pay expenses for meals that include meat. They're not saying you can't eat meat. 

Having recognised that there are circumstances in the course of discharging one's employment duties  that require dining (e.g. lunching an existing or potential client, eating whilst on a remote business assignment or function), and codified it with expensing, then excluding meat from expensable dining is enforcing a vegetarian belief that meat should not be eaten ( and/or relevant beliefs pertaining to the meat supply chain, about animal welfare etc.)

How about upping the ante with full-on veganism, by taking out milk, fish, eggs, etc from expensable foodstuffs? :rolleyes:

I don't know about you, but if I'm taking a client out and they want to eat a ribeye, I'm not going to pay for it out of my personal income because my employer won't expense their meal. Nor can I see myself telling the client that no, they must take the veggie option.

It's just imbecilic virtue-signalling. But hey, it's their business right to do so, and the markets (employment, customers) will decide, as always.

Edited by L00b

12 minutes ago, L00b said:

Having recognised that there are circumstances in the course of discharging one's employment duties  that require dining (e.g. lunching an existing or potential client, eating whilst on a remote business assignment or function), and codified it with expensing, then excluding meat from expensable dining is enforcing a vegetarian belief that meat should not be eaten.

I don't know about you, but if I'm taking a client out and they want to eat a ribeye, I'm not going to pay for it out of my personal income because my employer won't expense their meal. Nor can I see myself telling the client that no, they must take the veggie option.

It's just imbecilic virtue-signalling.

It's quite common for employers to exclude alcohol from expenses. 

9 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

It's quite common for employers to exclude alcohol from expenses. 

Perhaps someone told them that alcohol has no nutritional value ;)

1 minute ago, L00b said:

Perhaps someone told them that alcohol has no nutritional value ;)

So you'd be OK telling the client that you're meeting for lunch that they can't order any alcohol because it has no nutritional value?