Amey - Again!

Repairing potholes but manage to rupture a water main on High Storrs Rd? 

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/environment/workers-rupture-water-main-after-returning-repair-crumbling-road-surface-sheffield-1744608

I didn't realise they went so deep.  I once watched two Amey workers repair a few potholes on Nether Edge Rd,  Only two of them, small bucket of tar, just filled the holes, tampered the mix down & drove off. 

Took them less than 10 mins. 

Edited by Baron99

13 hours ago, Baron99 said:

I once watched two Amey workers repair a few potholes on Nether Edge Rd,  Only two of them, small bucket of tar, just filled the holes, tampered the mix down & drove off. 

That’s how pothole repairs are done nowadays. They use special materials that are designed to be used exactly as you describe.

The big cost involved in pothole repairs is the traffic management setup required.

By using this type of repair they avoid having to put out cones, signs, temporary signals etc and having to obtain licenses to work in the road, so it’s a faster, lower cost operation.

Guest makapaka
15 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Repairing potholes but manage to rupture a water main on High Storrs Rd? 

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/environment/workers-rupture-water-main-after-returning-repair-crumbling-road-surface-sheffield-1744608

I didn't realise they went so deep.  I once watched two Amey workers repair a few potholes on Nether Edge Rd,  Only two of them, small bucket of tar, just filled the holes, tampered the mix down & drove off. 

It says they stood down road planers so obv not just repairing a couple of pot holes 

Sheffield 'smart' bins to start screaming when they haven't been emptied for a fortnight

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/02/19/sheffield_smart_bins/

The idea is that connected sensors can inform when rubbish bins are full and need emptying, trees need watering, grit bins need refilling and the like.

Connexin is providing the so-called CityOS to run the system, which aims to allow more data-driven decision making and make it easier for residents to point out when something requires maintenance.

Councillor Mark Jones said in a canned statement: "By investing in this new initiative, our contractors will be undertaking fewer journeys, which in turn will result in a reduction in energy consumption, pollution and congestion, whilst ensuring our streets are kept clean and our bins are emptied using a more efficient and effective approach... those who live and work in our city should see a positive impact in their neighbourhoods fairly quickly.

On ‎18‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 10:06, Planner1 said:

That’s how pothole repairs are done nowadays. They use special materials that are designed to be used exactly as you describe.

The big cost involved in pothole repairs is the traffic management setup required.

By using this type of repair they avoid having to put out cones, signs, temporary signals etc and having to obtain licenses to work in the road, so it’s a faster, lower cost operation.

Unfortunately they have to come out the week after to do the same repair again, then repeat!!!

3 minutes ago, DaveGas said:

Unfortunately they have to come out the week after to do the same repair again, then repeat!!!

I don't believe that is the case in most instances. The new materials are said to last just as long as the inlaid patches that used to be the norm. I've seen plenty of the modern repairs that are still in place years later. I've also seen plenty of inlaid patches that had to be redone as they failed.

The cost and difficulty of doing the more traditional repairs is so great that it means that they can afford to do the new type repair more than once and still save money. Remember that Amey do not get paid any more to do the same repair multiple times. They get paid a fixed amount every year to maintain the highway network to an agreed specification.  

Has all full-road resurfacing been suspended now?  There used to be a handy bit of the SCC website which told you when each area was due for work, but I can't seem to find it now. 

The roads in Nether Edge are appalling, and although I have reported the worst of the potholes, it's resurfacing that's needed.  Kerb works where tree roots have lifted the edges are being done, so I hope this means the resurfacing will follow soon!

Guest makapaka
18 hours ago, feargal said:

Has all full-road resurfacing been suspended now?  There used to be a handy bit of the SCC website which told you when each area was due for work, but I can't seem to find it now. 

The roads in Nether Edge are appalling, and although I have reported the worst of the potholes, it's resurfacing that's needed.  Kerb works where tree roots have lifted the edges are being done, so I hope this means the resurfacing will follow soon!

They were on st Mary’s Road yesterday and crookes today.

We had our entire road relaid by Amey after their first attempt failed miserably.  Apparently they did it at their own expense!! 

On 19/02/2020 at 12:21, alchresearch said:

Sheffield 'smart' bins to start screaming when they haven't been emptied for a fortnight

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/02/19/sheffield_smart_bins/

If Amey and our council have anything to do with this, you can be rest assured that such 'efficiency measures' aren't going to be in the interests of householders.  

So, will a whole street full of bins need to be screaming before Veolia arrive?

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out this refers to the black metal bins on the roads that are for public use and are emptied by Amey and has nothing to do with the household bins that are emptied by Viola and the misleading photograph is just another piece of poor reporting by what pass as news agencies these days