Save Sheffield Libraries

In 2014 and 2015 Sheffield transferred 16 city libraries to various volunteer groups and not-for-profits, the result has been areas such as Tinsley having little more than a cupboard full of books as it's "library", falling book loans and a fragmented service.

The Save Sheffield Libraries petition is now live, it is demanding a professionally staffed library service for all library sites in the city, abolition of library fines and refurbishment for the three most historic library buildings in the city - imagine having a library in your area staffed once more with professional library staff! The petition can be signed here, just click "Login or register and sign the epetition" and follow the instructions http://democracy.sheffield.gov.uk/mgEPetitionDisplay.aspx?ID=10208&RPID=476656&HPID=476656

Edited by nikki-red

Look, don't upset the applecart. Steadily withdrawing funding from libraries and education is the only sure way of keep literacy and general knowledge down to a reasonable level, I thought we'd already decided that. We've already made available other more beneficial outlets for the freed up funds. When people know too much, and can work things out for themselves, that's when government starts to lose it's control over peoples lives.

Do we  need actual libraries, ie buildings, anymore?

I have free access to hundreds of ebooks and the idea of  going into a library and borrowing a few books does seem a bit out of date.

The last library I went in had a kids’ play area and the noise level was such I was surprised anyone could concentrate on anything.

1 hour ago, Mossway said:

Do we  need actual libraries, ie buildings, anymore?

I have free access to hundreds of ebooks and the idea of  going into a library and borrowing a few books does seem a bit out of date.

The last library I went in had a kids’ play area and the noise level was such I was surprised anyone could concentrate on anything.

Yes. Not everybody wants or has the means to have an ebook reader. I spend enough time looking at screens at work.

I have the means to buy an ebook reader, but much prefer to read a paper book. As such, most of what I read for pleasure comes from Ecclesall Library. 

Is the Central Library still under threat now that the SCC sell off plan / proposal to turn it into a hotel seems to have fallen through a while back? 

With another £13 million being cut from SCC's government funding I'd be interested to know which services the OP would like to see reduced in order to re-fund libraries.

Frecheville Library is the complete opposite of the description of Tinsley Library. It can only be described as a success.

It has a lot more books to borrow than when it was run by Sheffield Council.

The volunteers run groups for all ages of the Community each week. They have fundraising events and have a book shop in the Library to raise additional funds through donated books.

It's a great example of how to run a Community Library. 

I was sad for the people who were made redundant when the Library was transferred to be run by volunteers but I think that money from SCC is better used on services that are more important than Libraries i.e Children and Adult social care etc.

11 hours ago, Sheffield Monks said:

Frecheville Library is the complete opposite of the description of Tinsley Library. It can only be described as a success.

It has a lot more books to borrow than when it was run by Sheffield Council.

The volunteers run groups for all ages of the Community each week. They have fundraising events and have a book shop in the Library to raise additional funds through donated books.

It's a great example of how to run a Community Library. 

I was sad for the people who were made redundant when the Library was transferred to be run by volunteers but I think that money from SCC is better used on services that are more important than Libraries i.e Children and Adult social care etc.

The above comments echo how Greenhill Library is so successful in providing much more than ever was provided by a council run service !!

22 hours ago, MatLibrary said:

In 2014 and 2015 Sheffield transferred 16 city libraries to various volunteer groups and not-for-profits, the result has been areas such as Tinsley having little more than a cupboard full of books as it's "library", falling book loans and a fragmented service.

The Save Sheffield Libraries petition is now live, it is demanding a professionally staffed library service for all library sites in the city, abolition of library fines and refurbishment for the three most historic library buildings in the city - imagine having a library in your area staffed once more with professional library staff! The petition can be signed here, just click "Login or register and sign the epetition" and follow the instructions http://democracy.sheffield.gov.uk/mgEPetitionDisplay.aspx?ID=10208&RPID=476656&HPID=476656

Good morning  MS. You are banging your head against a brick wall with this initiative !!

Libraries are still valuable. We're lucky in Hillsborough, we still have a staffed library. Its rarely busy, but the computers are often in use when I visit, usually once a week. I grew up with libraries and my grandchildren have memberships where they live.

Its interesting that some community libraries are thriving, and seem to provide a great service, whilst others are failing.   Perhaps the formula for success can be shared with the failing groups?

i can't sign the petition, I'm realistic enough to understand that other options are available, ie ebooks, and the council does not have endless resources.

1 hour ago, Ms Macbeth said:

Libraries are still valuable. We're lucky in Hillsborough, we still have a staffed library. Its rarely busy, but the computers are often in use when I visit, usually once a week. I grew up with libraries and my grandchildren have memberships where they live.

Its interesting that some community libraries are thriving, and seem to provide a great service, whilst others are failing.   Perhaps the formula for success can be shared with the failing groups?

i can't sign the petition, I'm realistic enough to understand that other options are available, ie ebooks, and the council does not have endless resources.

Exactly .

Public libraries are just one example of the most basic things in the UK that we are most proud of.  A good quality public library service is an  indicator of a civilised, free society. Libraries should be properly funded and staffed by properly trained and experienced staff. Libraries aren't just about printed books these days and haven't been for decades.

Other examples of institutions many are proud of in the UK include the NHS, the BBC etc. What do they all have in common? Yes, they're under threat from the Cummings elite who run our country now.

So you want to abolish late return fees,? So then people will come & get a book out and never have to bother about returning it! So very quickly you'll have a library without any books !!!!!!.

Look this is a great idea for and by litercists but under the current financial climate your banging your head against an already closed book with far more financial needing targets in front of the queue. Yes let's want a library in every village,  a doctor's nearby, a school fully staffed, roads perfectly smooth, etc etc etc,,,, but unless someone has found Harry Potter's magic wand I'll stick to my kindle &the second hand book stall.