Rip Harry Gregg

Another legend passes away,  great goalie and a great guy..

RIP Harry.

Hero is an over used phrase nowadays. But Harry Gregg was a true hero in Munich February 1958

RIP

A true hero and life saver

Saw Harry Gregg play for Donny Rovers at Donny before his transfer to Man U.

Also saw him play at the Bramall Lane in Jimmy Hagan's testimonial game.

What a hero in the time after that plane crash !!

Wasn't Gregg in the net just a couple of weeks later for Man U's next match against SWFC? 

10 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Wasn't Gregg in the net just a couple of weeks later for Man U's next match against SWFC? 

My own question's just been answered.  Clip just seen on BBC news.  Man U knocked SWFC out of the FA Cup. 

The programme for that match showed all the 11 players who were playing for Wednesday.

The Manchester United team showed numbers 1 - 11 and then eleven spaces as they didn't know which players would be available.

Difficult game for Wednesday to be involved in. The whole world were rooting for Man Utd. 

R. I. P  Harry, l was privileged to see him a couple of times and often wonder would we have scored seven  that cold night in Feb 1961 if Harry had played. 

2 hours ago, ALAN 58 said:

R. I. P  Harry, l was privileged to see him a couple of times and often wonder would we have scored seven  that cold night in Feb 1961 if Harry had played. 

Man Utd's goalie that night was a lad who was third choice (name I forgot), I think David Gaskell was reserve but he too perhaps injured. I recall Harry Catterick wrting a letter  -it was in the Star- to the young goalie to cheer him up.

Also: is Bobby Charlton the last one living from the players that survived the crash ?

11 minutes ago, St Petre said:

Man Utd's goalie that night was a lad who was third choice (name I forgot), I think David Gaskell was reserve but he too perhaps injured. I recall Harry Catterick wrting a letter  -it was in the Star- to the young goalie to cheer him up.

Also: is Bobby Charlton the last one living from the players that survived the crash ?

Goalkeeper was Ronnie Briggs..

Fantham, Finney, scored 2 apiece,  Ellis scored a hat trick.

24 minutes ago, Padders said:

24 minutes ago, Padders said:

I thought that name was one of the Great Train robbers until I read it properly ,thank you Padders

Edited by St Petre