Rip Harry Gregg

1 hour ago, St Petre said:

Man Utd's goalie that night was a lad who was third choice (name I forgot), I think David Gaskell was reserve but he too perhaps injured. I recall Harry Catterick wrting a letter  -it was in the Star- to the young goalie to cheer him up.

Also: is Bobby Charlton the last one living from the players that survived the crash ?

Yes. Bobby Charlton the only living survivor.

Not really a footie fan but there is no doubting this fellas character, a true life hero.

Edited by mickey finn

11 hours ago, Runningman said:

Saw Harry Gregg play for Donny Rovers at Donny before his transfer to Man U.

Also saw him play at the Bramall Lane in Jimmy Hagan's testimonial game.

What a hero in the time after that plane crash !!

Before my time (first saw Rovers in '62) but my dad (RIP) reckoned Harry was the best keeper he'd ever seen until Banks was in his pomp. He was always full of praise for Ken Hardwick as well.

RIP to a true legend.

5 hours ago, abbeyedges said:

The programme for that match showed all the 11 players who were playing for Wednesday.

The Manchester United team showed numbers 1 - 11 and then eleven spaces as they didn't know which players would be available.

Difficult game for Wednesday to be involved in. The whole world were rooting for Man Utd. 

Yes I recall that programme (wish I still had it). Those days Man Utd used to print both team line ups for home games on the front page with a drawing of a man in a suit and trilby  shaking hands with a player above the names. As you stated. the United line up was left blank as they didn't know who would be starting. The FA. gave them special permission to play two players signed only a few hours before even tho' it was after transfer deadline -no windows then, just a couple of days - I think they were Stan Crowther (Aston Villa) and Ernie Taylor (Blackpool).

Makes me wonder how it took till 2018 to give Harry an OBE.

Makes me wonder why it took until 2018 to gave Harry an OBE.

Was there SP it was my elevnth  birthday present for the 3rd Feb. David Briggs played in the first game. I was mascot for the next home game against PNE  we won 5-1 . Ron Springett  took me onto the pitch. Oh happy days.

Edited by ALAN 58